Open Letter: Female GOP Supporters

NaNoWriNO Day 4

Topic: Open letter to the GOP

————————————————————————————————————————————————–

Female GOP Supporters:

As you know, elections are right around the corner, and propaganda information from both parties has been spreading like wildfire for the past several months. As we close in on November 6th, I can’t help but think about those of you ladies who will be going to the polls and placing a mark next to Romney’s name. As someone who considers herself moderately conservative, I can appreciate wanting to elect someone who can actually make change happen rather than use it as a buzzword to slap on a bumper sticker.

However, I’m just not sure how any woman could choose to vote Republican in this election. Don’t get me wrong, the idea of President Obama serving another four years doesn’t exactly get me super excited, but I find the alternative to be much worse. “But Jen, as a moderate conservative, don’t you want someone who sits on the same side of the fence you’re on?” No, and let me tell you why.

“Moderate Mitt” doesn’t have a solidified ideology, and this is alarming to me. I’ll admit that I don’t follow politics as closely as some do, but I do keep abreast of it enough to know who stands for what. Because of this, I’m worried that I still don’t know what Mitt Romney’s real views are on certain key issues. After months of campaigning, and millions of dollars to promote yourself, if you haven’t conveyed how you feel you’ve got problems.

This tells me two things:

(1) He doesn’t have a firm enough grasp on his political principles

(2) He’s a sitting duck for those who do

This brings me to why I’ve targeted women in this open letter. Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you may have noticed the asinine and insensitive things staunch Republicans have been saying while getting all up in our ovaries over the last year.

“I think that even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen” – Indiana Republican U.S. Senate candidate Richard Murdock (endorsed by Romney)

In response to being asked if a woman should be able to get an abortion if she is raped: “The method of conception doesn’t change the definition of life” – Vice President Nominee Paul Ryan (obviously endorsed by Mitt Romney)

“I would hope that when a woman goes into a physician, with a rape issue, that that physician will indeed ask her about perhaps her marriage, was this pregnancy caused by normal relations in a marriage, or was it truly caused by rape.”- Republican Idaho Senator Chuck Winder (endorses Mitt Romney)

When a reporter asked how he would handle a daughter or granddaughter becoming pregnant as a result of rape, Republican Senate candidate Tom Smith said he had already ‘lived something similar to that’ in his family. When pressed to answer what kind of situation is similar to rape, he responded: “Having a baby out of wedlock.”

“Some girls rape easy.” – Wisconsin Republican Representative Roger Rivard while sharing a story about a warning his dad offered him. He later clarified that his father meant premarital sex “may be rape the next morning.”

Are you mad yet? You should be.

While I hate the term “The War on Women”, and acknowledge that these are all sound bites, I do believe we need to read between the lines. These are men who are paid to convey their ideas well enough to sway their peers into voting in their favor. Some, if not all, have “coaches” who help them learn how to do this.

I don’t believe for a second that this was a case of what someone said not being what they meant. I think they are thinly veiled misogynists whose only concern when it comes to women is what time they’ll be making dinner. These are the people who are endorsing, or are being endorsed by, Mitt Romney. I don’t want these men running in a marathon let alone participating in running a country.

Because Mitt Romney is so BLAH on everything, I’m afraid he will succumb to the pressure of his more extreme conservative counterparts.

How can you feel good about standing behind a party that obviously doesn’t care what those with uteruses feel about the matter? That wants to limit your daughters’ rights away if, god forbid, they were to be raped? That think it’s okay to make a victim of rape a victim of a cruel system set up by men?

I also want to be more fiscally conservative. I also want reform. I also want somebody besides Obama. I don’t want these things instead of my rights as a woman. Are you willing to take the risk of Romney winning, and becoming a puppet for men who know nothing of empathy?

I’m not asking you to abandon your party, and I’m not even asking you to vote for Obama. I’m simply asking you to consider who your vote will be helping (or hurting) in the future. I’ve seen so much tunnel vision this election season, people wanting to stick it so badly to the other party that they forgot what causes they were fighting for in the first place. I don’t care what decision you make in a couple of days, I just want you to make an informed one.

Regardless of who wins, I hope we all realize we’re in this together.

Ovaries Before Brovaries,

Jen

————————————————————————————————————————————————–
I will confess that I did not draw this from the hat, but chose to write this since the election is near. Forgive me?

Please be respectful of one another when commenting. I know this is a sensitive issue for some, but we’re all intelligent enough to use reason instead of fighting words.

Thanks to the following bloggers for suggesting this topic:

NaNoWriNO Day 3 post

NaNoWriNO Day 5 post

77 Responses to “Open Letter: Female GOP Supporters”

1. DUH'Merica 11/05/2012 at 6:15 pm #

I have often wondered how any woman could vote for people with those beliefs. It’s almost as shocking to me as how the Kardashians are famous.

2. Lyssapants 11/05/2012 at 1:17 pm #

Thank you for writing this.
    The ovary comment at the end was the cherry on top.

• Jen and Tonic 11/06/2012 at 12:37 am #

Thank you for reading. I wish there wasn’t a reason for me to write this, but unfortunately there’s a bunch of tools out there masking themselves as politicians.

3. calahan 11/05/2012 at 1:05 pm #

Well said, Jen. You are able to keep a much cooler head than I about politics, which is why I don’t write about politics. 🙂

• Jen and Tonic 11/06/2012 at 12:35 am #

The first draft of this post read: “Mitt Romney is a dick. The end.”

• calahan 11/06/2012 at 8:10 am #

Ha.

4. 1liferevealed 11/05/2012 at 11:54 am #

This is spot on: “I also want to be more fiscally conservative. I also want reform…. I don’t want these things instead of my rights as a woman.” Thank you for this post!

• Jen and Tonic 11/06/2012 at 12:32 am #

I hope that everyone’s shared sentiments adds up to Obama winning the election.

5. artsifrtsy 11/04/2012 at 7:33 pm #

This election season has sent me into a tailspin regarding what I thought were my positions. I live in the land of Todd Akin commercials so I hear it every day. I am also a fiscal conservative – but I cannot believe the way I am hearing the leaders of the Republican party speak about women. Your post pretty well sums up where I am at. I want a change in fiscal policy, but not at the expense of my civil rights.

• Jen and Tonic 11/05/2012 at 8:37 am #

I was wondering how those who live in certain parts of the US felt about these comments. I’m sure some share their opinions, but I’m glad to hear that not all do.

• artsifrtsy 11/05/2012 at 10:47 am #

There are some amazing adds that Claire McCaskil has put out featuring conservative Christian rape survivors – voting against this guy and standing up and saying so.

• Jen and Tonic 11/06/2012 at 12:29 am #

I just had a chance to watch the “Real Words – Women” video. Really well done, and I think indicative of how many women are feeling in this country.

6. badfads 11/04/2012 at 4:38 pm #

The problem I’m having in this election is that I can’t abandon my basic rights as a woman and a human being to vote on any other political principles. I mean, yes, I have other major problems with the various political establishments, but where I normally would just glare at both candidates and stay home (in my defense, I used to live in a state so politically corrupt and determined in its way, it really didn’t matter if I voted or not). Not so this year.

With all that in mind, I think the best comments I’ve heard on the subject of Idiot Republican Men talking about rape were from Stephen Colbert.

• Jen and Tonic 11/05/2012 at 8:36 am #

I think that’s where I’m at too. I can’t choose a Republican (in hopes that he’ll fill gaps we’ve had in the last few years) knowing how the party feels about women.

I hadn’t seen that video, but it’s hilarious! I wish Stephen Colbert could be President.

7. Maggie O'C 11/04/2012 at 3:10 pm #

Question, if abortion rights voters want the government out of their collective uteri, why do they simultaneously want the government to mandate that employers including the Catholic Church cover birth control in their health coverage? This is an honest question. I’m pro-choice and voted for Romney but abortion rights is not a deciding factor for me when deciding who to vote for, so I would like to hear from the other side of the aisle on this. Thanks.

• Jen and Tonic 11/04/2012 at 3:40 pm #

I don’t want to speak for anyone else, but here’s how I view it. My contraception is currently provided for by a private insurance carrier, not the government. For those who receive public assistance, I see contraception as a preventative healthcare measure which I believe should be covered by our government. Contraception has been shown to reduce abortions by 60+% (ironically, something the same people who are fighting about contraception are against.) If abortions were banned, our system would be bogged down by people seeking funding for children they can’t afford. I know that this doesn’t directly address the issue of “why if this then that” but it explains why I feel it’s okay to address the needs of those seeking contraception.

I think what makes me curious is that, during these discussions, these same men haven’t been as adamant about preventing men from using erectile dysfunction drugs. It just feels a bit hypocritical to me.

Great question. Thanks for throwing it out there.

• Maggie O'C 11/04/2012 at 3:45 pm #

I hear you. I think what I don’t like is the federal government telling other organizations or businesses what they have to provide. thanks for getting back to me.

• Jen and Tonic 11/04/2012 at 3:47 pm #

Yeah, I kind of go back and forth on that issue. On one hand, I want everyone to be covered. On the other, I think private entities have the right to make their own decisions. This is why I didn’t get into politics! 😉

8. Fern DeVilliers 11/04/2012 at 12:30 pm #

You are making me WANT to vote in the American election. You’ve definitely made me want to choke Romney. Sadly, all I can do is share your charge… well done.

• Jen and Tonic 11/04/2012 at 1:58 pm #

Sometimes a little momentum is all you need, so the shared charge is much appreciated.

9. saradraws 11/04/2012 at 11:21 am #

Others have said it, and I will repeat it: Ovaries before Brovaries just gave new meaning to my life. I feel like I can do anything. I adore you, even if you’re not a leftist.

• Jen and Tonic 11/04/2012 at 12:20 pm #

I wish I had coined the term Ovaries before brovaries. It’s just so perfect for this situation.

As I said to Roller above, my party seems to have changed over the years. Conservatives have gotten a bad rap because our extreme political cousins can’t help but put their feet in their mouths. I used to think it was a phase, but now I see it’s a movement. I believe in gay marriage, I believe abortion should be allowed, I believe in public funding programs. I just want some reform; I don’t want over spending. I want the “think first act later” mentality of the true conservative. I’m afraid of what the people in power will do if we DO have a bigger government. They’re already so crappy with what we have now.

Basically, we need some Canadians to move here and show us how this is done.

• isawbobdylaninaspeedo 11/04/2012 at 12:25 pm #

I’m in on the bumper sticker ‘Ovaries before Brovaries’ campaign! This was a great essay – at a touchy time – and it looks like it was well received, so, great job!! All Americans like that we all get to have opinions…I for one am truly scared if Romney wins. Of course no one can implement a lot of his shite the minute he is elected – but Romney’s views and sociopathic ways are truly scary. And all of those rape comments have been astounding…and they don’t END. Really???? Really??? That’s all I’ve been saying…Great job Jen…I’m slow clapping with John up there…

• Jen and Tonic 11/04/2012 at 1:59 pm #

It will definitely take time to implement things, but it’s just so bogus for the morale of the country. Knowing that you’re paying tax dollars to help other people take away your rights isn’t exactly uplifting.

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment!

10. rollergiraffe 11/04/2012 at 11:17 am #

I don’t envy your choices in this election. While i tend to fall on the more liberal side of things, I respect the principles of conservatism. But what is going on in the GOP is such a bastardized version of conservative principles. The idea of small government can’t be reconciled with obsessively legislating what’s going on in people’s pants. The fact that people buy into this, and see this as the “right” and “fair and balanced” makes me think that Orwell wasn’t so far off. If I were a moderate in the country, I would definitely take another four years of Obama’s lackluster performance over the scary possibility of Romney.

• Jen and Tonic 11/04/2012 at 12:16 pm #

I think the problem with conservatism is that it has seriously gotten away from its original principles. I’ve often thought I need to redefine where I stand because it seems the party has shifted, and I haven’t gone along with it.

I agree that they push for smaller government, and then want that same government to regulate every little thing. It’s a very hypocritical stance I can’t get down with.

11. boomiebol 11/04/2012 at 10:37 am #

Bravo!!!

12. John the Aussie 11/04/2012 at 9:20 am #

*stands up and starts slow clapping*

13. Carrie Rubin 11/04/2012 at 9:13 am #

“Some girls rape easy.”—This may be the most sickening thing I read today. Thanks for a great and timely post.

• Jen and Tonic 11/04/2012 at 12:11 pm #

Right? And the worst part is, this guy was sharing the story as an anecdote of sorts.

14. Dani Heart 11/04/2012 at 9:11 am #

Jen, thank you for making some sense on this issue. I have shared this everywhere that I can. You ROCK!!!

• Jen and Tonic 11/04/2012 at 12:07 pm #

Thanks! This is just my perspective, but I believe it comes from a rational place. I love that this country is a Democracy, I love that we get to choose. I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, and just want to make sure they’ve considered all the possibilities first.

15. on thehomefrontandbeyond 11/04/2012 at 8:15 am #

mean is supposed to be men, but what they say is mean–perhaps a slip but a good one

16. on thehomefrontandbeyond 11/04/2012 at 8:14 am #

excellent points – you sound like such a voice of reason – the things that come out of people’s mouths–it makes me sick that some of those mean really believe what they are saying– I am Cdn but follow politics, and I hope you get reblogged over and over to get this message out–Romney himself does not seem to be the trouble–but he needs to come down more clearly–I would be afraid he would be swayed by those crazies

• Jen and Tonic 11/04/2012 at 12:04 pm #

I’m also appalled at what some people feel is okay to think, let alone actually say out loud. It shows their lack of respect for women, and their rights. And yeah, I don’t think Romney is a bad guy at all. Despite catching heat for being Mormon, and the tax return issue, and his dealings with certain businesses, I find him to be an okay guy. I think if he had a backbone he would have had a shot in this election. He’s too conservative for the left, and not enough for the right. I think the undecideds will default to Obama.

17. aliceatwonderland 11/04/2012 at 8:04 am #

I’m quite liberal, but I have friends who are conservative (in the Bible Belt, if I didn’t, I wouldn’t have friends) and they are shaking their heads as well. With all the other issues out there, why are they concentrating on this? I don’t get it. Wait, actually I do. They don’t have ideas for helping the economy, or they don’t want to implement them because it might anger theier extremely rich backers. So they distract with this crap. No that the Dems don’t do some of this themselves, but at least they’re smart enough not to go on and on about rape being no big deal. Seriously, have the Republicans in power just lost their minds?

• aliceatwonderland 11/04/2012 at 8:05 am #

Sorry for the horrible typos. I have to remember not to use Internet Explorer – it makes the comment boxes jump up and down more than Mitt on the issues.

• Jen and Tonic 11/04/2012 at 12:02 pm #

I think any reasonable person would be shaking their heads! It’s hard to ignore, like you said, that this is the only platform they’re standing on. They’ve got nothing else, so they go for the cheap dig.

What kills me is that this is election season! This is the time when they know they should keep their mouths shut, but they can’t help themselves. That’s how hateful they are.

• aliceatwonderland 11/04/2012 at 12:07 pm #

Exactly. I keep thinking somewhere there’s got to be a voice of reason saying “Hey, STFU till after the election” but either he doesn’t exist or he’s not brave enough to speak. I think they gave over too much to the extremists and now they’ve taken over. Like you said, they’re so hateful they can’t stop and now there is no one to stop them. Which is scarier.

18. Storkhunter 11/04/2012 at 7:29 am #

I consider myself a moderate conservative too, and never have I been more ashamed to admit it than during this election campaign … and I’m not even American.
    “Some girls rape easy?” are you kidding me? And these people are actually allowed out on the streets? It’s a scary thought.
    Jen, you hit the nail on the head with Romney being a clueless “puppet for men who know nothing of empathy” and that you don’t want other changes instead of your right as a woman. Spot on Jen. I only hope people listen

• Jen and Tonic 11/04/2012 at 11:50 am #

Yes! I’ve felt I’ve had to start my conversations off with, “Now, hear me out, but I’m a moderate conservative…” People automatically lump me in with the right-wing nutbars. I’m seriously afraid for Romney because I don’t think he’s qualified, and I think the only reason he’s on the ticket is because he was a more digestable Republican.

19. speaker7 11/04/2012 at 7:19 am #

“Ovaries before Brovaries” is going on a bumper sticker and going on my car immediately. Seriously dude, seriously crazy stuff being said by a legitimate (!) political party. Like this kind of nonsense is spewed by crazy Uncle Carl at the Thanksgiving table, and you just kind of shake your head because crazy Uncle Carl is not in a position of real power. But these guys? Scary times.

• Jen and Tonic 11/04/2012 at 11:47 am #

I don’t understand either. I mean, Target makes you take a psychological test in the hiring process, why doesn’t the government? It’s scary times when the only people who can move into positions of authority are those who are absolutely off their rockers.

20. Cathy Ulrich 11/04/2012 at 7:08 am #

Ovaries before Bovaries, Amen, Jen, Amen.

21. greeneyedwreck 11/04/2012 at 7:01 am #

It’s heartbreaking in this day and age that people with those views are still given a platform to preach this nonsense to other people… Rape is rape…. if you are married and you say no to your husband And he doesn’t listen – yes that’s rape too… I found this post last night, it might interest you.. http://elroyjones.wordpress.com/2012/10/31/todd-akin-richard-mourdock-paul-ryan-mitt-romney/

• Jen and Tonic 11/04/2012 at 11:45 am #

I just read that yesterday! Really great post. If you haven’t read the misslisted post that prompted it, you should.

I agree with you. How are THESE people allowed to say anything on anything?

22. El Guapo 11/04/2012 at 6:58 am #

Well said, Jen.
    Be nice if there were a focus on actual issues that govt should be concerned about, instead of topics like this that were once thought settled.

And what the hell is a brovary?!?

• Jen and Tonic 11/04/2012 at 11:44 am #

My thoughts exactly. With everything else that needs fixing, why has this become such a focal point?

A brovary is your nutsack! Although, I do care about the health of your balls. I’m that kind of friend.

23. meizac 11/04/2012 at 6:16 am #

Reblogged this on Meizac and commented:
    Jen of Sips of Jen and Tonic nails it, in my opinion. We have different political views, but her “I don’t want these things instead of my rights as a woman” absolutely nails it.

• Le Clown 11/04/2012 at 6:22 am #

Meizac,
      Hellz yeah for reblogging this one. I find this was a great blogging week on this topic on this blogosphere… Kudos again to you for your insightful post on the issue, Meizac, and to you, Jen… as always.
      Le Clown

• Jen and Tonic 11/04/2012 at 11:11 am #

Agreed! So many people have put time and energy into sharing information and helping people become more empowered in their decision-making.

• Jen and Tonic 11/04/2012 at 11:10 am #

Thanks for the reblog! And I think you doing that shows, regardless of your political views, you can get along and be on the same side with certain issues. That’s so important, especially when it comes to women’s reproductive rights!

• La La 11/04/2012 at 12:13 pm #

Agreed!!!!!

1. Life Changes « michelle stodden - 11/05/2012

[…] about women and the recent comments regarding rape by various members of the Republican Party (notable collection by Jen, thank you), a downhill slide back into the 1950′s seems possible with Romney sitting in the […]

2. Mating Call: Women « Sips of Jen and Tonic - 11/05/2012

[…] were a bit heavy yesterday which, as you know, is a departure from the the typical tone of my posts. I appreciated the […]