Crossing the Finish Line

Well, I did it. I survived NaBloPoMo 2013. I honestly can’t believe that this is the last post because it seems like yesterday I was only a week in, and telling my roommate that I couldn’t imagine lasting three more weeks.

This is how I feel on the inside right now:

winner, trophy

Winner winner chicken dinner

Would I do it again? To answer that I’ll need to do a recap.

Stats

Pros of NaBloPoMo
  • Forced me to write regularly
  • I met some amazing people through the Yeah Write, BlogHer and Nano Poblano networks
  • I was able to connect with non-NaBloPoMo bloggers as a result of my posts being shared
  • As seen above, it can improve your overall blog stats
  • It feels great to have conquered this beast for the second year in a row
  • I now know that I can write good material consistently if I focus

Cons of NaBloPoMo

• Writing, editing and posting a piece every day was very time-consuming
  • Comments became overwhelming on some posts
  • I love reading others’ blogs, and I wasn’t able to do that regularly
  • I had to post some pieces before I felt they were really ready, and wish I could have had more time to fine-tune them
  • Churning out posts for the sake of posting really sucked the joy out of writing
  • I think I may have annoyed some of you because of the frequent posting

The verdict

I would absolutely do NaBloPoMo again if I knew I could commit to it. Being able to tough it out makes me feel like I truly am a writer, something I’ve never really been convinced of until now.

I’d like to give mad props to my blog wife Speaker7 who not only persuaded me to do this, but also stuck it out the entire month with me. Do yourself a favor and go read her blog if you haven’t already.

Thank you to everyone who stopped by, followed me, shared my posts, commented, and endured the barrage of posts during NaBloPoMo. You really helped keep the fun alive, and motivated me to keep going. I look forward to catching up with you on your own blogs once the dust has settled.

Until next year…

36 Responses to “Crossing the Finish Line”

1. Aiming for Simplicity 11/30/2013 at 6:03 am #

You did a fantastic job Jen – plus lots of giggles on the way.

2. Elyse 11/30/2013 at 6:11 am #

It was great fun being along for the ride. Now relax!

3. Ally Bean 11/30/2013 at 6:17 am #

Congrats on surviving and thriving NaBloPoMo. Now kick back and enjoy December. You earned it.

4. She's a Maineiac 11/30/2013 at 6:46 am #

yeah! Congrats on all your success! I really am impressed you and Speaker managed to crank out good quality posts every single day. I would die.

5. Sean Smithson 11/30/2013 at 7:02 am #

Well played Jen. Well played indeed. And nice touch using an English football (soccer) team picture.

6. Erica M 11/30/2013 at 7:25 am #

If you’re into super cool button badges, we have one for you over at yeah write for you to show that you finished NaBlo with the yeah write crew. It’s in the sidebar of this post. Congrats!

7. daniheart21 11/30/2013 at 8:38 am #

Congratulations. I enjoyed your posts. I might do it again next year, but I will do my best to be better prepared. I too, posted a couple of pieces that I felt I could have done more editing to. sighs… ah well. I agree with you… I think it’s worth it. :)

8. Nicole Marie 11/30/2013 at 8:54 am #

Congrats on getting through it! And you made some awesome points here. I think I’ll attempt to participate next time around!

9. Vanessa-Jane Chapman 11/30/2013 at 10:05 am #

Wow, I don’t know where November has gone! The increase in followers is huge, and I hadn’t seen that your therapist post was FPd, congrats for that! Well deserved. I can certainly imagine that keeping up with the comments was tough at times. But you did it, you got through it, hurrah!

10. NotAPunkRocker 11/30/2013 at 10:19 am #

Good going!

11. Roni Faida (@thetravelguru_) 11/30/2013 at 11:39 am #

I also did NaBloPoMo but I haven’t checked my stats. I normally blog daily so that wasn’t a big deal for me (I can always find something about travel to talk about!) I’m glad it turned out so well for you!

12. projectechoshadow 11/30/2013 at 1:14 pm #

This month has been a blast but I’m glad it’s over, not sure if I’ll repeat this next year. I mean I’m certainly not doing both again, just not sure which one to redo, maybe I’ll alternate.

ECHO ECHO

13. The Guat 11/30/2013 at 1:51 pm #

It’s great when you set your writing goals and accomplish them. Writing everyday was definitely tough. I did it for a whole year and I totally know how you feel :) Congrats on crossing the finish line.

14. jaklumen 11/30/2013 at 2:13 pm #

I think I may have annoyed some of you because of the frequent posting

Annoyed? I was in awe. I might not die like Maineiac, but… I would probably annoy my little family trying to find all my marbles.

15. jackiemallon 11/30/2013 at 3:25 pm #

Well done! You have all inspired me to take it on next year!

16. talesfromthemotherland 11/30/2013 at 3:49 pm #

You totally rock!! I’m glad I got to follow along and the stats are really amazing… maybe next year. ;-) Well done. And in honor of your stamina: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQOix-KidpY Poor yourself a cocktail and play that over and over!

17. samara 11/30/2013 at 8:11 pm #

You made it! I shall send a marching band to your home at once!

How could you ever think that you annoyed us? Your posts are a hoot and a half, darlin! You and Speaker 7 are my inspiration. I’m hoping to cut in on the marriage so we can be sister wives.

And you are a WRITER. I blogged about that the other day, about writing/blogging. I believe the best of the bloggers, the Superstars, are true writers. You are one of them. Own it.

It must be the full moon. I’m getting positively misty…

18. omtatjuan 12/01/2013 at 12:59 am #

Tell me you’re not going to disappear now.. Right when your followers just were getting to count on words from you.. Not fair! It’s an outrage! We wont have this!!

19. mollytopia 12/01/2013 at 2:58 pm #

Congratulations!!! Excellent job!!!

20. Daphne Shadows 12/01/2013 at 5:06 pm #

If I tried to write a blog post every day I’d stop blogging as it’d suck the fun out of it for me. I COULD NOT post a post I knew could do with obvious improving. I’d post it and get annoyed until I deleted it. And then hope no one read it. So the fact that you could post every day blows my mind. And kind of scares the hell out of me. ;)

21. PinotNinja 12/01/2013 at 6:28 pm #

Well done lady! I don’t know how you found the time to crank out all of those posts, especially considering how well written and interesting they were. I am totally and completely impressed!

22. javaj240 12/01/2013 at 8:43 pm #

Well, you definitely are a writer — I can’t believe you need convincing!

I know exactly what you mean about publishing posts before they felt ready. It was tough to make the choice to publish them, but publish them I did, LOL!

In terms of bothering people, OMG, I so relate — there were any number of days where I felt like, OMG, Me again? HA!

It was great reading your blog regularly. I’m going to keep at it!

Thanks for all of your support over the past 30 days!

23. shreejacob 12/02/2013 at 12:45 am #

Congratulations! Your writing was / is awesome! I’m glad to have stumbled on to your blog!

24. Melanie 12/02/2013 at 7:39 am #

Congrats on finishing. Now, go take a nap.
    I finished NaNoWriMo this year. It felt amazing, and then I mostly turned off my computer for the better part of four days. It was heaven.

25. CrazySmartClueless 12/02/2013 at 7:57 am #

Major props girl! I slid off the schedule this month for the first time in a year.. my Anti NaBloPoMo. I am in awe that you found that much to write about. Amaze-balls

26. bethteliho 12/02/2013 at 2:30 pm #

HUGE accomplishment! Congrats! I’ve never seen anyone break down their stats before/after like that, very interesting. I never heard of it before this year (this is my first year blogging) and thought it sounded awesome, but was overwhelmed as it was with a giant editing project. Didn’t to Nanowrimo either, which I typically do. Anyway, good on you!

27. Viciously Sweet 12/02/2013 at 3:10 pm #

I’m so glad you accomplished this writing goal! This is the month I always seem to be the most off my game. I hope you don’t become a posting hermit like last year after this though! I like having some Jen and Tonic to read when I’m trying to not do work :)

28. The Cutter 12/03/2013 at 9:19 am #

Congrats on finishing and for the rewards that you have reaped. I’ve just started my month long quest, so hopefully I’ll be similarly triumphant when its all done.

29. Soul Walker 12/04/2013 at 2:33 pm #

This is my yay face. You can’t see it… but it’s happening.

30. Main Street Musings Blog 12/08/2013 at 7:08 am #

Congrats, Jen. You’re the Katniss of blogging in my book!

31. Aussa Lorens 12/10/2013 at 11:21 am #

Dang, so crazy! I’d only just started blogging so it seemed way overwhelming.. maybe next year! It seems like it would definitely be super intense… but it sounds like you were able to connect with a lot of different people, so that seems well worth it. The ability to push through and just write whether or not I want to is something I majorly struggle with… so I could see NaBloPoMo as a way to either increase my ability to do so or strangle all joy of the craft and leave me desiring to be a lumberjack or something instead.

32. Gunmetal Geisha 12/13/2013 at 7:48 pm #

Wow, those are some stats! I don’t think I could do it… I do once a week.

Going to check out what you turned out every day. Hats off to you!

Question, did you feel the quality suffered — I don’t mean the writing, but the topics?

I wanted to ask before starting to read. I’ve been wanting to dig into your blog for a few weeks. Now, I’m also curious to see if I notice a difference between your regular posts and the daily commitment ones.

33. Mrs. P 12/16/2013 at 4:45 am #

Great wrap up with genuine answers…and why I haven’t done it yet. But your cons do leave room to change one’s mind. Quite an accomplishment, you should be proud of yourself!

34. Trent Lewin 12/30/2013 at 8:27 am #

So you blogged every day? That’s impressive. I barely have the energy to scratch myself every day. I honestly hadn’t heard about this event before (I guess I’m familiar with the novel writing thing), but great respect for having done this. Basically seems the equivalent of writing a novel.

1. a little more flourish and flow | the tao of jaklumen - 11/30/2013

[…] and Tonic, upon her triumphal finish of NaBloPoMo 2013, suggested that all her readers should check out Speaker7, who she said persuaded her to […]

2. A Bit of This and a Bit of That | EllaBelle - 12/01/2013

[…] ago that I learned about it. I was browsing through a blog that I follow and began reading a post about this “NaBloPoMo” thing. So I Googled it. Apparently “NaBloPoMo” […]