5 Truths and a Lie

I was telling a friend that one of the things I love most about writing is how it allows me to make connections to other people. In a way, a blog is often like an online diary that we let other people read. Some people get very personal, and visiting their blog can feel like having a conversation with an old friend.

But can you really know everything about a person just by reading snippets of their lives? Or at least make an educated guess about who they are in real life? Well, we’re about to find out.

I’m putting my Hooked on Tonics to a test. We’ll see how well do you know the real Jen, the one who exists outside of WordPress. Below are five truths, and one lie about me.  Can you tell which is which?

(1) I am an emergency preparedness enthusiast. I’ve taken basic survival courses, and am also a Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) member. I have basic supplies stored in my home and car should a natural disaster occur, or I become stranded. One of my goals is to become Wilderness First Aid (WFA) certified in the next six months.

katniss, hunger games, bow and arrow, archery, meme, humor, funny

Totally legit picture of me just getting my archery on

(2) I am trained in the art of Kyusho Jitsu which is a Japanese martial arts technique of attacking another person’s pressure points. I know how to inflict pain with a simple touch, and could even cause involuntary reflexes by lightly tapping you. If you really act up, I could make you pass out. Some people claim their hands are registered weapons, but it’s actually true in my case.

(3) I got picked last in a lot of things as a kid, but sports were never one of them. I’m actually very athletic, and played basketball, soccer and volleyball growing up. Despite being the size of a gnome, I was pretty good at throwing up shots in basketball, especially free throw shots. I was so good at them that I placed in a statewide free throw tournament when I was in junior high.

basketball, free throwing, shooting hoops, humor, meme, celtics, larry bird

BEAST MODE

(4) One of my very first jobs was working at a collection agency. I helped with processing bankruptcy notifications, cease and desist letters, and notices of death. I also handled calls from people I now consider to be the original Tea Party members. They say the collection agents are bad, but I was threatened multiple times by the debtors themselves.

(5) People often say, “I was dropped on my head as a kid” but I can say that it actually happened to me. If you look closely at some of my pictures, you’ll see that I have a scar below my right eyebrow. That came as a result of my cousin dropping me when I was a baby, and me hugging the floor with my face. It explains a lot, doesn’t it?

baby, crying, cartoon, humor

I apologize for this disturbing imagery

(6) I experience temporary hearing loss as a result of inner ear issues that I’ve had since I was a child. Do you have a kid who only seems to get sick in the middle of the night? Yep, that was me with my ears. Now, as an adult, I still get ringing and pressure in my ears that sometimes last for hours at a time…usually in the middle of the night.

So which which one is the lie? Let me know in the comments section what your guesses are. I’ll reveal the answer in tomorrow’s post.

Bloggers: I’d love it if you “stole” this idea, and played the game with your readers too. We’ll see how much we all really know about each other.

125 Responses to “5 Truths and a Lie”

1. Kylie 11/20/2013 at 9:56 am #

Three. Free throws don’t exist. NO such thing.

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 10:29 am #

Look at Larry Bird! He disagrees! FREE THROWS 4 LYFE.

• Kylie 11/20/2013 at 2:47 pm #

I’ve seen Larry Byrd, and you, madame, are no Larry Byrd.

2. Jueseppi B. 11/20/2013 at 9:56 am #

#3 is the untruth

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 10:38 am #

Is it because the picture is unrealistic?

• Jueseppi B. 11/20/2013 at 12:46 pm #

No ma’am, just from reading your past post, I don’t see you as very athletic. Was I correct or way off base?

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 12:53 pm #

Do you consider running circles around people in arguments as athletic?

• Jueseppi B. 11/20/2013 at 2:17 pm #

:lol: I stand corrected…with your athletic ass. U have a very beautiful sense of humor.

3. Carrie Rubin 11/20/2013 at 9:56 am #

Hmm, I’m going to go with the obvious and say #2 is a lie. If it’s the truth, please don’t inflict pain on me with a simple touch or make me pass out…

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 10:40 am #

Just watch your shoulders. That’s all I’m saying.

4. rarasaur 11/20/2013 at 9:57 am #

I’m going with #2.

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 10:40 am #

If you’re so confident, you’ll give me your writst without hesitation.

5. Soul Walker 11/20/2013 at 9:59 am #

I love that “beast mode” is on Larry Bird’s body. I used to swim in a lake near one of .his houses as a child. I feel that it has imbued me with magical powers… unfortunately those powers are limited to empathy– and trust me no boy dreams of growing up to become Deanna Troi. I’m still hoping I will be able to exchange it for flight one day.

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 10:41 am #

Wait, you didn’t want to grow up giving out hugs and advice for free instead of earning millions by playing sports for a living?

• Soul Walker 11/20/2013 at 4:32 pm #

Yeah… but we end up doing what we’re good at anyways.

• Soul Walker 11/20/2013 at 4:42 pm #

I am a pretty solid hugger though.

6. Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher 11/20/2013 at 10:01 am #

I believe everything about you… but I’ll go with 1,2.3,4,5 or 6.

7. jeandayfriday 11/20/2013 at 10:03 am #

Love this game! We play it – with martinis. ;)
    My guess would be #2. Can’t wait to find out the answer!

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 10:42 am #

I should have passed out martinis to everyone playing.

8. Doggy's Style 11/20/2013 at 10:17 am #

I’d would say number it’s a lie, but then, I don’t know, so I’ll say number 3 it’s false.

• Doggy's Style 11/20/2013 at 10:19 am #

I’d would
      Brownie points for spotting the typo.

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 10:44 am #

You don’t believe short people can play basketball? How discriminatory!!!!!!

• Elyse 11/20/2013 at 5:46 pm #

I’m 5’2″ and could sink a basket from half court. I bet you can/could too. It’s just when you get up close to those tall folks that they shove it into your face.

9. saradraws 11/20/2013 at 10:24 am #

PFT. Number 3 obviously. Everyone knows that sports aren’t real. Even if they were, girls don’t make sports.

• saradraws 11/20/2013 at 10:25 am #

(I think I know the real answer, but I will not reveal it here, since everyone knows I’m an expert at all things)

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 10:43 am #

We make sandwiches.

• donofalltrades 11/20/2013 at 10:50 am #

I don’t have anything to add right here other than I saw the word and…I LOVE SANDWICHES.

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 10:53 am #

Me too. What is your favorite kind? If you say anything on rye bread I’ll kick you off this blog. No pressure though.

• donofalltrades 11/20/2013 at 11:04 am #

Rye bread? Gross. Wheat bread? Gross.

The bread has to be white or sour dough of some sort. My favorite is a hot salame sandwich from the Italian neighborhood where I was born. Salame de Testa with provel, pickles and spicy mustard? Yes please!

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 11:15 am #

GOOD MAN.

10. Vanessa-Jane Chapman 11/20/2013 at 10:25 am #

I’m going to go with number 2, but they all sound pretty convincing! I love this idea though, I might well steal it as you suggest at some point and do the same thing! If I do, I’ll link back to here. It might not be for a couple of weeks though because I generally only post once a week and I have something written for next week! (You probably didn’t need all that info did you, hehe).

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 10:45 am #

I really feel like we’re getting to know each other on a deeper level. We didn’t know each other, then we read each other’s blogs, and now I know your blog schedule.

11. Calamity Rae 11/20/2013 at 10:27 am #

I’m going with #2 as the lie. This is really fun Jen, and I will happily steal this idea one day soon. =)

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 10:46 am #

Please do! Something pretty simple to steal during this NaBloPoMo IWannaCryBecauseThisIsHard challenge.

12. Heidi 11/20/2013 at 10:30 am #

I say #2!!

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 10:46 am #

You don’t remember the time I wrestled you into submission when we were kids?

13. elinwaldal 11/20/2013 at 10:32 am #

I’m going with #2, and not because I can’t imagine your having been trained in Kyusho Jitsu.

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 10:48 am #

I should have included a video. It really would have swayed the jury on that one.

14. drewann2 11/20/2013 at 10:34 am #

Well Jen, the one one that sounds true is that you were dropped on your head as a child. J/K….seriously, none of these sound like you, but wagering a guess, I’d go with number 1.

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 10:49 am #

Even after reading one sentence of this blog I think most people would guess the getting dropped on my head one was true.

• Cheri 12/04/2013 at 8:52 am #

LOL…I dropped my 2nd to youngest brother on his head when he was an infant :) … but I guess #2…I am a martial artist and your words don’t ring true for #2 lol

15. donofalltrades 11/20/2013 at 10:49 am #

I’m going with #4, Jen. What with having pictured your granny panties and seeing you through the magic of instagram, I feel as though I know you like a 4th cousin, whoever that is.

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 10:50 am #

True. So what you know about me is that I like food, and almost bought owl poop the other day.

• donofalltrades 11/20/2013 at 10:52 am #

I thought it was puke, but who’s paying attention, right?

16. daniheart21 11/20/2013 at 10:58 am #

I am guessing the basketball one is the lie. lol Thinking now if I can pull this one off on my blog. lol Fun post.

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 11:00 am #

We should play HORSE sometime, and I can show you my mad skillz.

17. oldmainer 11/20/2013 at 11:29 am #

I used to use this as an icebreaker when I was a motivational instructor for my company. I would start and give three things. 1) I graduated from Duke, 2) My brother is a Methodist Minister, and 3) I spent a night in a Mexican jail. I would tell them only one of the three was true. They always picked 3. I guess that should have told me something:)

18. Katie 11/20/2013 at 11:38 am #

I’m going with number 2. If I’m wrong, I can always defend myself by running roughly a mile before getting tired and giving up.

19. denmother 11/20/2013 at 11:43 am #

#5. You have the scar but anyone who knows you knows it’s not from your cousin but rather from that Jell-O wrestling match you were in at college where your opponent tried to rip you apart after you face mashed her into the lime green jiggly stuff.

20. Twindaddy 11/20/2013 at 12:09 pm #

#2 FTW!

21. Perry Block (@PerryBlock) 11/20/2013 at 12:36 pm #

I’ve only recently started reading your blog, but I’m going to go with No. 2 because we couldn’t both possibly be trained in it! (Umm … I’m really not.)

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 12:52 pm #

We should totally get together and kick the shit out of each other sometime.

22. Melanie 11/20/2013 at 12:50 pm #

#1 I believe because you hike a ton.
    #2 I believe because it would be wise not to question such deadly force.
    #3 I believe because I am also gnome size and played b-ball in junior high and high school and rocked the free throw and 3-pt shot competition every year.
    #4 I believe because customer service suckage is a right of passage for everyone.
    #5 I believe because I have kids and I know every kid gets dropped on their head at some point between birth and kindergarten, and if they aren’t, they will take care of it themselves by falling off a table, counter, or dryer.
    #6 I believe because I’m a believer

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 1:49 pm #

SO MUCH FAITH IN ME

• Melanie 11/20/2013 at 2:09 pm #

Faith. Yes, that’s it. It has nothing to do with being gullible. Nothing at all.

• michellestodden 11/20/2013 at 1:59 pm #

I’m with you, Melanie.

• Melanie 11/20/2013 at 2:10 pm #

Yay! Hooray for believers!

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 2:42 pm #

I wouldn’t put it past me to do a trick quiz.

23. wrappedinmystery 11/20/2013 at 1:08 pm #

Have not been following for long but something tells me it’s #3. Probably it’s because I would like to whole heartedly believe #2, which is so cool.

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 1:50 pm #

You will be rewarded in the form of me not causing you any bodily harm.

24. stephrogers 11/20/2013 at 2:47 pm #

I’m going to go with number 2 please

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 7:20 pm #

I’m surprised at how many people think I don’t know how to defend myself!

25. loisaltermark 11/20/2013 at 4:20 pm #

I am so stealing this idea but, meanwhile, I hope #2 is actually true because how awesome would that be? If I could do that, I wouldn’t have slapped the woman who stole my cab. If I really did that, I mean.

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 7:21 pm #

Please, steal away.

If you learned pressure points you’d always be first in line for a cab.

26. calahan 11/20/2013 at 4:32 pm #

Number 7 is a lie! Wait, no… Dammit, I suck at this.

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 7:21 pm #

I wrote a 7, and it was absolutely false. You are correct!

• calahan 11/20/2013 at 7:35 pm #

Winner, thy name is Calahan.

27. speaker7 11/20/2013 at 5:26 pm #

I hope #4 is the lie because that sounds like a fucking nightmare so that’s what makes it ring true. I’m going to have to guess #3 because state freethrow contest seems fabricated. I know #2 is real because you are a total badass. I will be doing this because…shit…I am having a hard time with the remaining days.

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 7:23 pm #

Hugo lost the bottom half of his body after I pressed on his lower back. He broke into two pieces.

28. Elyse 11/20/2013 at 5:44 pm #

I’m guessing without reading the comments or your answers. And I’m guessing that #2 is the lie. Studying martial arts I can see, but not pressure points.

And what a fun idea for a blog post! I may just have to do it …

Now on to look at the comments.

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 7:24 pm #

I’d love it if you did it! I’m really surprised by how wrong a lot of the people are. I’m sure you will be too when you put yours up.

29. mytwistedroad 11/20/2013 at 11:19 pm #

I’m going with number 2 .. Xena Warrior Princess! :-)

• mytwistedroad 11/20/2013 at 11:20 pm #

Just sayin’ because those of us with special talents, don’t like to tell the world, you know? ;-)

• Jen and Tonic 11/20/2013 at 11:44 pm #

The first rule of Pressure Points Club is to not talk about Pressure Points Club.

30. Madame Weebles 11/21/2013 at 7:43 am #

I’m going to say #3 is the lie. Because I want so badly for #2 to be true.

• Jen and Tonic 11/21/2013 at 8:09 am #

Just to let you know, I make those really dramatic martial arts noises when I attempt to take someone down.

31. Diary of Doting Mom (@shyvish) 11/21/2013 at 8:54 am #

Jen sweetheart! What a brilliant idea for a post. I am stealing this, well, not really, since I am giving you credit for it! Will link up the post when I am done. In the meantime, I am going to go with # 3, since I am not sure anyway :)

32. Diary of Doting Mom (@shyvish) 11/21/2013 at 9:11 am #

Totally stealing this idea for my post today :) Giving you full credit though :) Will post the link soon! And, sorry, I would have to hazard a guess on your list. Would it be # 3, the basketball thing?

33. projectechoshadow 11/22/2013 at 5:20 am #

Hat even us basket ball?

ECHO ECHO

34. aliceatwonderland 11/22/2013 at 10:46 am #

I’m going with number 2 – I’ve only seen Spock and Xena warrior princess knock people out like that. But I love the debtors sounding like Tea Party members – ha, how true.

35. jaklumen 11/22/2013 at 3:36 pm #

Jen, I did this about four years ago, so it is awkward to ping/trackback appropriately as the others have (I’d have to edit an archival post). The post is here: http://jaklumen.wordpress.com/2009/08/22/5-truths-1-lie/
    Since I only listed five items instead of six, the bonus item is:
    I was falsely accused of rape
    and the verification is actually floating around the WP blogosphere.

36. Ally Bean 11/22/2013 at 5:15 pm #

I’m going with #4 because– really? You did not work for a collection agency… did you?

• Jen and Tonic 11/24/2013 at 12:28 pm #

Oh, I totally did. The agency itself was pretty awesome, but the people I had to deal with were certainly NOT.

37. mariner2mother 11/24/2013 at 10:32 am #

For no particular reason, I’m going with #3 being false. It’s one of the more plausible stories, so I’m going with that one. Isn’t that Larry Bird’s shirt you stole for the photo?? I miss the Celts in the 80′s.

• Jen and Tonic 11/24/2013 at 12:28 pm #

Nope, I was totally a basketball superstar. I ain’t no brick thrower.

38. writerwendyreid 11/25/2013 at 4:50 pm #

I am 5 days late (got a lot of reading to do this month) and I am catching up in order. If I were to venture a guess about which one was false I would have to take the Japanese martial art. (although there are some pressure points I would mind you poking at…hehehe) :-P

39. pouringmyartout 12/04/2013 at 3:59 pm #

Number 1 is a lie…

1. 5 truths and a Lie | Laments and Lullabies - 11/20/2013

[…] Jen and Tonic did this, and told her readers to do it. I can’t read good, but someone told me about it. […]

2. 5 Truths and a Lie… you be the judge. | A Heart on the matter - 11/20/2013

[…] to join in her fun and tell you 5 truths and a lie and let you guess which one is the lie? Thank you Jen for the inspiration.  So here are my 5 truths and a lie. Please tell me in the comments which one […]

3. The Truth About Jen | Sips of Jen and Tonic - 11/21/2013

[…] I played “5 Truths and a Lie” to test you, my readers, on your knowledge of the real Jen. As a recap, your options […]

4. One of These Things Will Not Set You Free « HACKER. NINJA. HOOKER. SPY. - 11/21/2013

[…] earlier today, whilst sitting in a particularly boring meeting, I read this post over at Sips of Jen and Tonic and– as often happens when I’m reading you fine […]

5. 1 Interview, 5 truths, 1 Lie | rarasaur - 11/22/2013

[…] fabulous Jen started this game in the ‘sphere and it was too fun to not play.  So, just to finish out yet […]

6. 5 Truths & A Lie | The Spectacled Bean - 11/22/2013

[…] are here.  She got the idea for her post from Jen at Sips of Jen and Tonic;  her answers are here.  Go visit them both.  You'll like […]

7. Five facts, one falsehood. | Echoshadow - 11/22/2013

[…] started on this blog […]

8. 7 Q’s & 5 truths and a lie | CombatBabe - 11/22/2013

[…] I am copying Rarasaur by participating in both Suzie’s questions and Jen’s 5 truths and a lie in one post. Imitation is the best form of flattery, AMIRITE!? Thought so. Anyway, on to […]

9. Friday Fascinations: Five Truths and One Lie | The Story of Rei - 11/22/2013

[…] That post was inspired by another blog I follow, Sips of Jen and Tonic, who did “5 Truths and a Lie.”  […]

10. 5 Truths, 1 Lie | the tao of jaklumen - 11/22/2013

[…] and redundancy's sake. Blogarockstar Rarasaur put the spotlight on this old meme, but she credits Jen & Tonic. This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the […]

11. Five Truths, One Lie…MO to TX | Brother Jon - 11/23/2013

[…] want to thank Jen for the idea, and Sara for the encouragement to also post five and […]

12. All The Cool Kids Are Doing This… | Not a Punk Rocker - 11/23/2013

[…] 2 of today’s post is inspired by Jen & Tonic’s “5 Truths and a Lie” (which is my least favorite corporate training icebreaker EVER).    This one is difficult […]

13. 5 truths, 1 Lie | Everyday Adventures - 11/24/2013

[…] http://sipsofjenandtonic.com/2013/11/20/5-truths-and-a-lie/ […]

14. One of These Things Will Not Set You Free. – Mollytopia - 11/24/2013

[…] awesome post, and then immediately stole her idea, which she encouraged because she stole it from Jen at Sips of Jen and Tonic.  I hope Jen stole it from someone else because then we can start a […]

15. It Was All Jen and Tonic’s Idea! | Vanessa-Jane Chapman - 11/25/2013

[…] week, over at Sips of Jen and Tonic, Jen did a fun game to see how well her blogging followers know her. She told us five truths and […]

16. NaBloPoMo Day 25: Truth, Lies and the Blogosphere | Drunk on Life - 11/25/2013

[…] inspiration came from a fun post by Jen at Sips of Jen and Tonic (by way of Rarasaur). Basically, you share 5 truths and 1 lie and ask your readers to tell the […]

17. Nothing But The Truth, So Help Me!– On Day 26 | My Female Persuasion - 11/26/2013

[…] I found inspiration from another blog post that was in turn inspired by Sips Of Jen And Tonic‘s blog. The idea is to write five things that are true – and one lie!  And yes! You […]

18. 5 Truths and a Lie | FiftyFourandAHalf - 12/02/2013

[…] of Sips of Jen and Tonic did a fun post last months.  She listed 6 things about herself – five were true and one was a lie.  And she challenged others to do the same.  So here I am.  I’m ready.  I […]

19. 5 Truths and a Lie – A Plagiarized Post | Stuphblog - 12/04/2013

[…] a NaBloPoMo far, far away, the ubiquitous Jen (and Tonic) came up with this brilliant idea to post 5 Truths and a Lie about herself in a daring attempt to ascertain just how well her readers know her. The object of […]

20. 5 Truths and a Lie | Clueless Scribbling - 01/15/2014

[…] got this idea from Laments and Lullabies who seems to be inspired on this by Sips of Jen and Tonic. Thanks to both of […]

21. Freedom, Beauty, Truth, and Love | Sincerely Kate - 03/03/2014

[…] 5 Truths and a Lie– Sips of Jen and Tonic […]

22. “Lying is the Most Fun a Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off” | ...More Than Sweet Potatoes - 03/20/2014

[…] groups, my youth group, new love interests, etc.  But when Aussa did it on her blog and linked to others doing it, I made a mental note to do it on my blog as […]