I’m back! Did you all miss me? My best friend had a little too much fun time guest posting yesterday. I saw him Googling “ways to overthrow your roommate and take over her blog” last night. I’m scared.
Every year on his birthday, a friend of mine publishes a list of lessons he has learned in the last year with the number of things determined by the age he’s turning. I’ve always thought this was a great idea, and wanted to celebrate my birthday this year by doing the same.
Here is the list of 32 life lessons I’ve learned (or at least finally accepted) in my 32 years of life:
- You always have choices in life. Your choices may suck, but you still have them.
- No matter how much you think someone is “The One” they aren’t if they can’t give you the relationship you need.
- Life is unfair at times, and bad things will happen to good people.
- It’s important to know when to pull the walls down, and let someone into your life.
- Conversely, it’s good to know when to put them up, and kick someone out of your life.
- Never underestimate a good cry.
- Nobody will ever get in your way more than you do. Stop.
- Everyone should give therapy a try.
- Perspective is everything.
- The more you need closure, the more likely it is you’ll never get it from the other party.
- Your thoughts are the most powerful tool in your arsenal. Use them wisely.
- Your gut is always right. It’s your head that gets things mixed up.
- Despite what the news will have you believe, there are a lot more people in this world doing good than bad.
- People are always telling you who they are, you just have to listen.
- As cliché as it is, things really do work out in the end.
- When things fall apart, the only person who can really put them back together is you.
- Sometimes the only cure for a bad day is going to bed. Sleep is life’s reset button.
- We should spend more time appreciating our own uniqueness rather than trying to imitate someone else’s.
- Everything is a learning opportunity if you want it to be.
- Not getting what you wanted could mean getting something you didn’t know you needed.
- Nobody wears pride well.
- Every day is another opportunity to start over, and make your life what you want it to be.
- Negativity is contagious. If you surround yourself with negative people, you’ll always be infected.
- Not everyone will like you, and that’s completely fine.
- Always looking to the past is the easiest way to ruin your future.
- A friend who supports you during your lows, but is conspicuously absent during your highs, isn’t really a friend.
- The best life lessons are the ones that are forced upon you.
- Don’t expect from the world what you aren’t willing to put out into it.
- When you begin to forgive, you’ll always wish had done it sooner. Forgive now.
- Focus on actions and not words. Actions never lie.
- Things (and people) are not always what they seem. Always do your homework before forming an opinion.
- Love is everything. Self-love, family love, friendship love, romantic love, parent/child love…it is everything.
What have you learned in the last year?
Thanks to everyone who played along with my bestie yesterday, and for all the birthday wishes. I’m woefully behind on responding to comments, but I assure you I’ve read them all. My Hooked on Tonics are the best.