Liz Lemon is My Spirit Animal

I am almost always the last person to watch a hit television show. I saw my very first episode of Breaking Bad a few months ago. I’ve been saying I’ll get around to having a looksie at Dexter. It’ll be another 20 years (and gut-wrenching boredom) before I watch The Walking Dead.

As one would expect, I was very late to the game when it came to viewing 30 Rock. I wasn’t interested in the premise of the show, and it wasn’t until a friend encouraged me to watch it that I finally did. “I think you’d really like one of the main characters, Liz Lemon.”

To say she was right is a very serious understatement. I mean, we’re practically the same person.

Neither of us understands how to meet a men:

30-Rock-Meme

We both have sad home lives:

h916BA4CC

We’re both really comfortable in groups of women:

Screen Shot 2013-11-08 at 10.22.55 PM

Our conflict resolution styles are similar:

talk-to-some-food

We feel the same way about the word “lovers”:

Screen Shot 2013-11-08 at 10.18.59 PM

We share a relationship philosophy:

tumblr_l2sk73IZ6Z1qzbatyo1_500

We’re both hardcore fitness enthusiasts:

Screen Shot 2013-11-08 at 10.52.14 PM

Two words: NIGHT CHEESE

Screen Shot 2013-11-08 at 10.54.31 PM

Are there any television or movie characters you identify with?

99 Responses to “Liz Lemon is My Spirit Animal”

1. shreejacob 11/09/2013 at 5:04 am #

Ha! This was a delightful read!!
    Hmm TV characters that I resonate with…well…I do like Patrick from SpongeBob..he’s so….cool and calm…you know? He’s like how I want to be..all Zen like (seriously!)

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2013 at 2:14 pm #

I love Patrick! I like how laid-back he is. Plus, he seems like a good friend.

• shreejacob 11/10/2013 at 2:19 am #

Aww he is. He trusts so completely…sigh. See, Patrick is just that awesome.. ;)

2. NotAPunkRocker 11/09/2013 at 5:11 am #

Wow, it’s like abrunette, successful version of me. I need to check this show out, after we finish power-watching “Scrubs”.

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2013 at 2:16 pm #

Some of the plots are just okay, but she’s in so much of the show that it saves it. I watched Scrubs for the first time a few years ago and was telling a friend about it, and he was like, “Welcome to five years ago.”

• NotAPunkRocker 11/09/2013 at 3:25 pm #

Netflix has us going through marathons, whether we watched the show originally or not. We just finished up “That 70s Show” so “Scrubs” was the logical next choice.

3. herschelian 11/09/2013 at 5:15 am #

In an attempt to improve my Chinese listening skills I started watching a day-time soap opera on TV here in Beijing. I could more or less figure out what was going on (at least I
    thought I could) it was the usual story: marriage not going too well, wife takes up with hot ex-lover, mother-in-law who never liked her is suspicious etc etc. The first week I couldn’t follow any of the dialogue. Second week likewise. By the third week I was a bit perturbed that I couldn’t identify a single word. Finally caved in and asked my Chinese teacher what was wrong and why couldn’t I understand anything? She switched on the programme and within a nanosecond told me the problem – it was a Korean soap opera.

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2013 at 2:18 pm #

That’s hysterical! On the plus side, you’re now fluent in Korean.

4. Heather 11/09/2013 at 5:20 am #

Love!

5. E. 11/09/2013 at 5:27 am #

Oh my goodness I love Liz Lemon! I’m also a few years late when it comes to tv shows; I watched one episode of Breaking Bad when it first came out and haven’t touched it since.

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2013 at 2:22 pm #

I feel like most shows don’t live up to the hype surrounding them (Lost, anyone?) so I don’t want to be pressured to like the show like everyone else. I was really disappointed with Breaking Bad although I’m told that you need to get beyond the first season to enjoy it.

6. rachelocal 11/09/2013 at 5:37 am #

I have a Liz Lemon post in my drafts folder!

This made my day and it’s only 8:30 am. Off to eat copious amounts of donuts, Liz Lemon style.

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2013 at 2:23 pm #

That scene where she asks the lady what time they start giving out free donuts is hysterical. Can’t wait for your post!

• She's a Maineiac 11/10/2013 at 4:16 am #

Ooh, when are you posting it?

• rachelocal 11/11/2013 at 3:36 pm #

It’s been in my drafts for at least a year. I don’t have a humor blog remember?

• She's a Maineiac 11/11/2013 at 4:06 pm #

Well, neither do I and that’s never stopped me. Maybe write about her cooking something with lemons in it?

• Jen and Tonic 11/11/2013 at 4:10 pm #

Um, I’ve snorted when reading your blog which is proof that you are a humor blogger. Or a blogger who is humorous. Or that I might have a crush on you and get nervous in your presence.

• She's a Maineiac 11/11/2013 at 4:22 pm #

Who…. me? You mean Rache, right? Or Liz Lemon? If you do mean me you have just about made my entire month with that comment — no — my year.

• Jen and Tonic 11/11/2013 at 7:44 pm #

I mean you. She’s boss too, but that comment was aimed at you.

• Jen and Tonic 11/11/2013 at 4:09 pm #

Maybe post a recipe with lemons in it to tie it all in? Humor + food = ORGASM.

• rachelocal 11/11/2013 at 4:58 pm #

I’ll have to make this happen for you, Jen!

• Jen and Tonic 11/11/2013 at 7:43 pm #

Perfection. Your recipes make me wish I could never stop eating.

• Soul Walker 11/10/2013 at 8:04 am #

I am going to have doughnuts too. I applaud your life-choices.

7. Carrie Rubin 11/09/2013 at 5:44 am #

I miss Liz Lemon. I watched 30 Rock from the start though it kind of petered out near the end. But if you just started watching it, you’ve got plenty of seasons ahead of you!

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2013 at 2:23 pm #

I’ve gotten through all of it, and I agree with you. I wish they would just have a show focused on her character.

8. Melanie Jo Moore 11/09/2013 at 5:53 am #

I’ve only seen a few episodes of that show, but I’m with you. There’s a comfort in Liz that it is okay not to fit in the cookie-cutter woman profile.

Often times I feel like I am a mix of Bridget Jones and Sarah Nolan (played by Dianne Lane) in Must Love Dogs. It’s that constant foot in mouth, not so great at relationships feel I get from them that I really bond with.

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2013 at 2:25 pm #

I agree, she’s just doing her own thing. I think foot in mouth is endearing, but I’m sure living it…not so much.

9. denmother 11/09/2013 at 6:02 am #

I’d like to be Black Widow from the avengers – she knows how to handle men a wee bit better than Liz. However, night cheese is super appealing.

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2013 at 2:25 pm #

Who says Black Widow can’t partake in a bit of night cheese?

10. Brother Jon 11/09/2013 at 7:06 am #

For one, The Walking Dead is a wonderful show.

For two, I think I’m closest to that donkey fellow from the Winnie the Poo show. Thanks for noticing my comment.

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2013 at 2:27 pm #

I always incur the wrath of The Walking Dead fans! I just don’t enjoy zombies. Probably because they’re trying to eat my brain.

Aw, you’re Eeyore? I didn’t see a tail or small piglet companion when we met…

• Soul Walker 11/10/2013 at 8:06 am #

A.A. Milne was the foremost philosopher of the last century. The donkey gets a bad rap. Good on you sir.

11. speaker7 11/09/2013 at 7:18 am #

I love 30 Rock. I went through a 30 Rock marathon when I had my tonsils removed. It was glorious.

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2013 at 2:27 pm #

You lost your tonsils, but you gained some serious comedy.

12. javaj240 11/09/2013 at 8:09 am #

I never watched this show, either, until my 17-year-old daughter got me hooked, LOL! Fangette (my daughter’s pseudonym) is a BIG FAN of Liz Lemon!

You’re not missing anything with “Dexter”— I watched the first season and had to stop. Ultimately, I was so confounded by the casting of the female lead — who I later discovered was married IRL to the male lead, which explained A LOT — who was such a terrible actress and the fact that, considering that she reminded me of Olive Oyl, was constantly sought after by men just left me scratching my head. I mean, come on, there’s “suspension of disbelief” and there’s “suspension of disbelief”, am I right?

I watched the first episode of “Breaking Bad”. It was good, I guess, but it didn’t dazzle me, if you know what I mean.

I also tuned into an episode of “Walking Dead”, which was, just as I suspected, stupid. So, no more of that!

I think the character on television that I most closely identify with is The Dowager Duchess, played by Maggie Smith, on “Downton Abbey” — she has some of the best one-liners EVER! I like to think that I get off a decent “zinger” now and then myself. What’s more is that the ever-delightful Fangette would agree. LOL!

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2013 at 2:29 pm #

I’ve heard that about Dexter as well…and Breaking Bad…and The Walking Dead. I mean, it’s not like I have refined taste in television. I watch things on E! and Bravo for god’s sakes. It’s just a matter of taste.

I have not seen Downton Abbey, but I’ve heard Maggie Smith is genius in it. I’ll have to have a look at it.

• javaj240 11/09/2013 at 8:17 pm #

Think of me when you see her — I’m a much younger version, though. LOL!

13. Ned's Blog 11/09/2013 at 8:39 am #

I am ALWAYS a late bloomer when it comes to watching TV hits. Just started watching China Beach and I don’t get it. It’s not even in China. But I have been a big fan of 30 Rock since from the beginning… on Netflix.

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2013 at 2:30 pm #

You’re only 22 years behind on China Beach so no worries there. There’s also this show called M*A*S*H you might enjoy.

• Ned's Blog 11/09/2013 at 2:38 pm #

Dang it! I just loaded S.W.A.T. on my Netflix…

• Soul Walker 11/10/2013 at 8:07 am #

M*A*S*H is my favourite TV show ever.

14. michellestodden 11/09/2013 at 9:01 am #

Liz Lemon– yes. Sarah Braverman from Parenthood, although I haven’t watched last season yet. She has that “single mom and don’t know what in the hell I’m doing with my life” sort of thing that I completely relate to.

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2013 at 2:32 pm #

I love the actress who plays that character. I think she’s perfect for that kind of part.

Also, I think you’re doing a fine job on your own.

• michellestodden 11/09/2013 at 5:19 pm #

I agree.

And thanks. My bank account would beg to differ, though.

15. Jacqui O Retro 11/09/2013 at 10:12 am #

I’ve still never seen any of them. Although I know almost all the words to that “Muffin top” song, thanks to workmates.
    Also, if you ever get around to Dexter – stop at the end of season 4. I wasted 2 1/2 years of life on the mess tat was season 5 – 8

16. Paul C 11/09/2013 at 12:27 pm #

I’ve never really identified with a charcter from TV, but I loved Leo in the West Wing. He was so dry and acerbic, but beneath all that there was a true heart of gold. I think I’m mostly drawn to darker, mysterious characters. Toby in the West Wing was morose and desperately unhappy. In fiction Sherlock Holmes was a really complex character as was Raskolnikov in Crime and Punishment. There seems to be more of a backstory with darker characters and a mystery to unravel. On a lighter note, people back home called me Finch from American Pie and my Dad calls me Mr Bean. Can’t win ‘em all :)

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2013 at 2:35 pm #

You know what, I can kind of see the Finch thing! That’s not a bad thing at all. He’s such a suave character.

Have you watched the American show Parks & Recreation? There is a character on there, Ron, who is gruff and grumpy, but he’s a good guy deep down. Also, he’s hysterical.

17. The Hook 11/09/2013 at 1:32 pm #

Tina Fey annoys me.
    But I think you’re one of the all-time hottest, most clever, kick-ass chicks of all time, Jen.
    Well done!

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2013 at 2:39 pm #

You don’t like Tina Fey?!?!?! I’ll forgive you since you said such nice things about me. Good recovery!

• The Hook 11/09/2013 at 2:46 pm #

She irks me.
        I find her irksome.

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2013 at 2:51 pm #

That’s how I feel about Robin Williams. I totally get it.

• The Hook 11/09/2013 at 2:52 pm #

I knew you would!

18. Katie 11/09/2013 at 1:51 pm #

If only there was a character on TV that picked off their toenail polish, I’d be covered.

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2013 at 2:39 pm #

We need to write that character. She sounds awesome.

19. Edee Lemonier 11/09/2013 at 2:54 pm #

Oh my Lord! Might have to start watching 30 Rock! Your spirit animal is way better than my husband’s. He says his is the sloth. I shit you not.

• Jen and Tonic 11/10/2013 at 1:16 pm #

The sloth is awesome. It always has a “I don’t give a fuck” look that I love.

20. Robbie 11/09/2013 at 3:26 pm #

I am hype averse and often late to the party when it comes to tv shows. I’ve NEVER seen an episode of Breaking Bad or Downton Abbey or Dexter. I do love me some Liz Lemon though. I started watching 30 Rock last year.

• Jen and Tonic 11/10/2013 at 1:16 pm #

You and I need to get together and watch shows from decades ago together.

21. Schmutzie 11/09/2013 at 11:17 pm #

She kills me. When everything seems wrong, Liz Lemon makes them seem so right.

22. Shankari Priya 11/10/2013 at 3:53 am #

I Still haven’t seen 30 Rock but I’ve seen her opening gig on the Emmys with Neil Patrick…It was pretty hilarious!! She’s bold and talented and funny. She is inspiring!!

I’ll get around to that show soon enough!!!Fingers Crossed!

23. She's a Maineiac 11/10/2013 at 4:17 am #

I’m always late to the party, too. I am just getting into 30 Rock. But I’ve always been into Tina Fey. She is my idol.

24. Soul Walker 11/10/2013 at 8:08 am #

I (perhaps unfortunately) relate to Nick (the bartender) in “The New Girl.”

25. vyvacious 11/10/2013 at 12:35 pm #

From what I’ve gathered, people think I’m a combination of Lucy (hyper, quirky, martial arts enthusiast/undercover agent) from Despicable Me 2, Katie (weird but doesn’t care) from Horton Hears a Who, aaaand a couple other crazy/weird/happy cartoonish characters… Take what you will from all that. Haha.

26. teresa 11/10/2013 at 3:46 pm #

I’m pretty sure there’s a recipe for cheesy blasters on Pinterest!

• Jen and Tonic 11/11/2013 at 10:50 am #

As if I need another excuse to waste time there.

27. Calamity Rae 11/11/2013 at 7:22 am #

Another hysterical post! I don’t think I relate to any character with such perfection as you, but I’ve had many people tell me I look exactly like Rachel from Glee (and um, my name is Rachel, even though her real name is Lea) but if I am anybody, I’m Brenda from Six Feet Under (minus her whole sex addiction!). Thanks for another funny great read.

• Jen and Tonic 11/11/2013 at 10:51 am #

“Minus her whole sex addiction!” Are you sure about that? We’re all friends here, you can be honest.

28. EuphonicCharity 11/11/2013 at 7:45 am #

This is delightful. I am incredibly behind the cultural curve when it comes to TV series. Between Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, and Walking Dead (Yes, I have been sucked into that one), it will probably be a year or two before I get to 30 Rock. But now it’s on my “Must watch eventually” list ^_^
    Hooray for night cheese!

• Jen and Tonic 11/11/2013 at 10:52 am #

Sheldon Cooper is absolutely one of the best characters to have been on television. And really, you can have night cheese no matter what show you’re watching. I’m proof of that.

29. Psychobabble 11/11/2013 at 1:23 pm #

This. All of this. I can’t believe I haven’t dressed up as her for Halloween yet….probably because I dress up as her every frickin day.

• Jen and Tonic 11/12/2013 at 5:08 pm #

You are so good at halloween that it would be awesome to see you do that.

30. daniheart21 11/11/2013 at 3:50 pm #

I haven’t seen this show so this post is sort of lost on me…but the pics and sayings are funny. lol I can’t think of a tv character that I identify with…but I will keep thinking. :)

• Jen and Tonic 11/12/2013 at 5:08 pm #

You could just watch clips on YouTube of her to get the gist.

31. thoughtsappear 11/12/2013 at 6:14 am #

Someone buying me mozzarella sticks would be so much more impressive than someone buying me a drink.

• Jen and Tonic 11/12/2013 at 5:09 pm #

I KNOW! Talk about someone who is practical and thoughtful.

32. kelsgonebush 11/13/2013 at 3:45 pm #

I love this show – she’s my type of girl too ;) So , please tell me , is Breaking Bad worth a look ?? I’m thinking about buying the whole series and making a weekend of it ! (Ps I may be stalking your blog this morning , haha its been a long time since I had a good read ! ) Xx

• Jen and Tonic 11/14/2013 at 8:33 pm #

I have to say, the few episodes I watched of Breaking Bad were not that great which is why I didn’t continue. I’ve heard you’ve got to give it a couple of seasons.

Oh, and please stalk away!

• kelsgonebush 11/24/2013 at 4:36 pm #

Haha , I don’t have the attention span for that , Ill give it a miss then . I must admit I have an embarrassing secret .. I am totally obsessed with Mob Wives – I’m hanging out for season 3 to get be delivered to my door – its so bad its good – like the crack cocaine of tv shows ! :)

• Kylie 11/20/2013 at 12:40 am #

Ladies, you definitely have to watch all of Breaking Bad. It’s amazing. Really.

33. PinotNinja 11/14/2013 at 5:27 am #

Working on My Night Cheese is one of my ultimate favorite songs to sing when I’m lazing around on my couch in my sweatpants. It just really captures the vibe I’m throwing off in those moments.

34. Kylie 11/20/2013 at 12:39 am #

hahahah! I watched all the episodes they had on Netflix while very, very slowly folding laundry. Have you watched Parks & Rec? If not, do!

1. Liz Lemon Ricotta Bruschetta | Rachel's Table - 01/09/2014

[…] a Liz Lemon fix NOW? Head on over to Sips of Jen and Tonic to read this hysterical post: Liz Lemon is My Spirit Animal. (Bring some cheese with […]