12 Days of Christmas- Day 12

21 Dec

For those of you who have been reading my blog for awhile, you know I love giving back. I love charity. I love volunteering. I think acts of service towards our fellow (wo)man are the one thing we’re all capable of doing, and should be doing.

giving quote_0

That was my inspiration behind the 12 Days of Christmas series. This year has been huge for me in terms of my writing, and by that I mean I’ve actually been doing it. I’ll elaborate on that in a yearly wrap up post I’ve been working on, but wanted to take this moment to say I’m incredibly thankful for the community here on Sips of Jen and Tonic.

This was my way of giving to you what I’ve been taking for the last year.

I must confess that, while I was excited for each day and what it would bring, I was most looking forward to today. I figured out that I wanted to do this on the second day of the series, and have been anxious to get to the end ever since. That may also be because I can finally take a break from assaulting your inboxes on a daily basis.

They're all from me

They’re all from me

One of the greatest gifts a blogger can receive is the gift of exposure. There’s nothing better than getting new eyes on your writing without having to work your ass off for it. I’ve been fortunate enough to have had that same opportunity thanks to other bloggers. Now it’s my turn to pay it forward.

So today’s challenge is going to be a bit different. I will not be drawing one random name and awarding that person a prize. Instead, I will be awarding every person who comments a prize of sorts.

I want you to name a blogger you’d like me to feature on Sips of Jen and Tonic in an interview format. Maybe it’s a new blogger. It could be someone who has been blogging for awhile, but doesn’t get the recognition he/she deserves. Perhaps it’s just someone you really want me to grill.

Details/rules:

• One “entry” per person
  • Names must be submitted by 11:59 PM PST on Sunday, December 23rd.
  • You can’t nominate yourself (yeah, I’m looking at you David Harding)
  • Doesn’t have to be someone on WordPress. Any platform is welcome.
  • If the person you’ve chosen does not respond to my invitation, or declines it, I’ll let you pick someone else.

I really enjoyed all of the Freshly Pressed recommendations on Day 1 of the challenge, and am looking forward to what you guys and dolls come up with for this.

I also want to quickly squeeze in the winner of yesterday’s post, and that is lunch man extraordinaire, Timmer! E-mail me at SipsofJenandTonic@gmail.com to claim your prize.

Thanks again to everyone who has commented, followed, tweeted, facebooked or sent me smoke signals during this series. You guys rock my socks.

49 Responses to “12 Days of Christmas- Day 12”

1. Bill Friday 12/21/2012 at 3:04 am #

First things first, I would read you every day, even WITHOUT the fancy prizes. Second, unless you would consider interviewing YOURSELF, I nominate Le Clown.

Other than that, thank you for the giving of yourself to all of us Hooked on Tonics. You’re the very best.

Bill

2. davidhardingblogs 12/21/2012 at 3:18 am #

Curse you!

3. davidhardingblogs 12/21/2012 at 3:19 am #

I nominate Tonic. We always hear from Jen but this Tonic person is proving something of a mystery.

4. TJLubrano 12/21/2012 at 3:19 am #

Even though I haven’t been commenting, I had so much reading all your posts, Jen! I promise that in 2013 I’ll be more stalkerish :)

Ahh man! I have several I want to nominate. Okay, I hope others will nominate them and I’ll nominate Vyvaciouseats as you introduced us to each other and she has a big love for food AND she seems like such a nice girl :)

Keep on being your badass self and have a wonderful time during the holidays!

5. Christopher De Voss 12/21/2012 at 4:19 am #

I would like you to interview La La from Tales Of A Charm City Chick… I understand she is quite funny.

6. Giving is so much better than receiving. Right on, Jen! :-)

I would love you to interview one of the boys from Expats Post about their blogs. Some of them have tendency to stay on the serious side; and I would really enjoy an Jen & Tonic interview with one of them. Make them laugh. :-)

7. Stacie Chadwick 12/21/2012 at 5:13 am #

Bill McMorrow: billmcmorrow.com. He is awesome all wrapped up in a too-tight wife beater.

8. Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher 12/21/2012 at 6:17 am #

Crumudgeon at Large – he always makes me laugh….

9. Brother Jon 12/21/2012 at 6:57 am #

Hey, this is a great idea. (Good job on calling David out too. I’m not going to nominate him, but I will figure out a way if no one else does.)

I would like to nominate Kenny from http://titillatingthoughts.wordpress.com/. He’s been out of the game for a few months but he just so happened to pop up in my comments today, so I’m going to take that as a sign. (Everything happens for a reason, right?)

10. becca3416 12/21/2012 at 8:10 am #

I nominate myself, since no one seems to be doing that.

• becca3416 12/21/2012 at 8:10 am #

On top of Vyvaciouseats. Sorry, I don’t follow rules.

• GiggsMcGill Jill 12/21/2012 at 2:19 pm #

So you can follow the rules – I’ll second Becca’s nomination of herself. ;)

• davidhardingblogs 12/22/2012 at 12:56 am #

I would but she barred me! >:(

11. aliceatwonderland 12/21/2012 at 8:17 am #

Just ONE? Crap. Ruby from I Was Just Thinking and Canvas. If she declines I have about a dozen others . . .

12. twindaddy 12/21/2012 at 8:38 am #

I wasn’t sure you saw my smoke signals since you’re all the way across the country from me, but that kicks ass.

Keep on writing, Jen, and I’ll keep reading.

As for the interview, I’m quite interested in this Tonic fellow as well. Let’s interview that guy.

13. SummerSolsticeGirl 12/21/2012 at 9:00 am #

I had no idea TJ had nominated on of my posts. That’s so sweet of her. And your a hoot, as usual :)

14. Maggie O'C 12/21/2012 at 9:40 am #

I know! David Dixon!!! Bring Us the Interview of David Dixon!
    You rock and so did your Christmas card. My kids looked at it and looked at me and looked at the card. I said, “she’s a blogger friend of mine” and they rolled their eyes. Well done!

• saradraws 12/23/2012 at 9:33 am #

Thank goodness you nom’ed him. I was stuck between two, one being him, but now I can nom the other because you are so wise and have great taste.

15. daniheart21 12/21/2012 at 10:34 am #

I nominate Sara. Laments and Lullabies. :)

16. jdanryan 12/21/2012 at 10:49 am #

My nomination is for Susan Rocan at mywithershins; she’s dose some good work in writing about writing and crafting on the blog, and has two good books out now worth reading:

17. iRuniBreathe 12/21/2012 at 10:54 am #

I would nominate David (davidhardingblogs), because only he can talk so eloquently about himself so much. Plus I really like the poem he wrote for me and I’m trying to butter him up to write another.

18. calahan 12/21/2012 at 11:13 am #

I nominate Erica aka Loony at http://thoughtsofalunatic.com/

She’s a funny writer who can also be tragically honest.

19. El Guapo 12/21/2012 at 11:33 am #

Congrats on making it through the whole cycle!

I nominate EdwardHotspur (.wordpress.com) just so we can see who will be more outlandish – the questioner or the answerer.
    Barring that, whiteladyintehhood (.wordpress.com). One of my favorites, who tells great stories.

20. GiggsMcGill Jill 12/21/2012 at 2:21 pm #

I nominate Calahan, because every time he comments – I crack up.

Gah, too many more to name. If you started me going, I’d recommend you enough people to go on for months!

21. nikkix2 12/22/2012 at 6:14 pm #

I nominate, Gia from http://www.mayorgia.blogspot.com cause she’s super funny and loves wine like us!

• Ashley Austrew 12/27/2012 at 8:10 am #

I’m late and the contest is already over, but I second this. Mayor Gia is effing hilarious.

22. saradraws 12/23/2012 at 9:36 am #

BRENT WAGGONER. He just arrived off the Blogger Boat (he is saved!) and he is crazy smart and funny as a cuss word. Now, I’m going to make Le Clown nominate someone else I am rather attached to.

23. Le Clown 12/23/2012 at 9:37 am #

I nominate Andy from Rimbaud at Disneyland: http://rimbaudatdisneyland.wordpress.com/.
    Beside being my father-in-law, I’m scared shitless of him. He is 61, and his behaviour with age can be quite erratic, if you know what I mean… I’ll owe you one…
    Le Clown

• saradraws 12/23/2012 at 9:38 am #

another glowing review par Le Clown.

• Almo Lothar 12/25/2012 at 7:50 pm #

Erratic? Erratic? Goddamit, whippersnapper! Who do you think you are? I am not erratic.

Oh, wait… is that cake?

Jesus, kid. slow down that friggin’ bicycle or I’ll smack you.

But, as I was saying, there’s increasingly solid support for the idea that Shakespeare was, in fact, the 17th Earl of Oxford, Edward DeVere – a tragic figure, who was a royal ward in the Court of Elizabeth I, but who squandered or lost the better part of his family’s fortune and legacy, and who, for socio-cultural reasons at the time, could not even lay claim to the great works of literature for which he was responsible.

Oops. I farted.

24. The Bumble Files 12/23/2012 at 1:24 pm #

You rock my socks off, too, Jen! Great way to end your Christmas series. Hmm…there’s so many talented bloggers…looks like you have lots of great choices! Have a Merry Christmas!

25. benzeknees 12/23/2012 at 3:39 pm #

I think you should interview El Guapo, one of the nicest guys on WordPress.

26. Enchanted Seashells 12/26/2012 at 11:27 am #

I love the Anne Frank saying. You are awesome, I hope you had a wonderful day!

27. Ashley Austrew 12/27/2012 at 8:11 am #

This is a great idea! Building relationships in the blog world is the best part, and you never know what awesome people are out there :)

28. Adam S 12/28/2012 at 5:24 pm #

Jen. I am way late. I don’t expect to get into the contest, but this chick is fucking hilarious, and she deserves to be read. She’s pretty new, and nobody really knows about her yet. Read this post when you’re bored. You’ll love her!

29. Viciously Sweet 12/29/2012 at 5:43 pm #

Oh Jen! I like that you are doing wonderful things with your blog, as always you are a highlight in my day! I have been behind in blogging and reading… But I’m so happy to read all the things you are doing. I hope you had a merry merry Christmas!

30. Janene 01/04/2013 at 9:24 am #

I know I’m late to the party but what a sweet idea! I’m sure you’ll pick out the perfect person.

31. liquorstorebear 01/07/2013 at 8:23 pm #

I’m waaaaay late to the party; you can blame my two neurons and their lack of company in my fuzzy head. Thank you so much for the awesome Festivus gift. I LOVED IT!!!! I never knew such fine things existed. I’m wearing underpants in your honor (on my head). You made my day ;)

32. st sahm 01/08/2013 at 7:25 am #

Thoroughly enjoyed your 12 days of Christmas!! Day — day 10 was thee best.