12 Days of Christmas- Day 11

20 Dec

I honestly cannot believe I only have this post and the one for tomorrow, and then the 12 Days of Christmas series is over. I should be flying high! My creative juices should be spilling over! I should be spinning plates on my fingers, toes and nose simultaneously. The closest I’ve gotten to that tonight is when I burped and hiccuped at the same time.

Instead, I’m left with nothing.

Credit: peanuts.wikia.com

Our male pattern baldness is eerily similar
(Credit: peanuts.wikia.com)

This is how tonight has gone:

6:45 PM: *cracks knuckles* I’m gonna own this motherlover.

7:00 PM: I’m hungry. Snack, snack, snack, snack, snack, snack, snack!

8:00 PM: Taking a nap at 8 PM is totally appropriate, right? That won’t screw with my internal clock at all.

9:00 PM: Fuck, what day is it? How long have I been sleeping? I’m going through some serious Rip Van Winkle issues right now.

9:10 PM: Why is the underside of my left boob so sweaty?

9:25 PM: Is that a spider in the corner? Looks poisonous. Great, I’m going to get bitten and die and not in the cool apocalypse way everyone else will on Friday.

9:30 PM: I JUST MET YOU AND THIS IS CRAZY BUT HERE’S MY NUMBER CALL ME MAYBE.

9:45 PM: Come on, get your head in the game. Post ideas, post ideas. I’m sure they won’t care if I write about how I found an M&M in my bra last night, but haven’t eaten an M&M since Halloween.

10:00 PM: What’s that tapping at my window? Could just be the wind, but it’s most likely a serial killer playing mind games with me.

10:30 PM: WHOA. “The Golden Girls” is on the Hallmark Channel right now. I must watch this episode I’ve seen a bajillion times, and laugh like the crazy spinster I am.

11:00 PM: I’m screwed.

procrastinate

Today’s challenge will be to tell me if this happens to any of you. What things do you do to put off writing, and how do you get yourself back on track?

Want to know the one thing I was able to do easily? Pick today’s winner! Congrats to twindaddy! E-mail me at Sipsofjenandtonic@gmail.com to claim your little slice of heaven.

Catch me tomorrow for the final post in this series!

45 Responses to “12 Days of Christmas- Day 11”

1. I am the queen of procrastination! I even put off seeing films…YES! You read that right. haha. For now, what helps me is sitting in a specific spot in my house with my laptop. For some reason the placement, comfiness of my seating arrangements and close proximity to the kitchen helps :-)

• YAY! I am the first to respond. I didn’t procrastinate answering you. Maybe Jen and Tonic is the cure to all procrastination!!! All HAIL, JEN & TONIC!!!!!

2. aliceatwonderland 12/20/2012 at 4:29 am #

I am a master of procrastination. I call it my blog. I use it to procrastinate doing anything else like work, cleaning, paying bills, yadda yadda. But lately I’ve felt that way about the blog, so I’m taking a break from writing (except commenting on blogs because this is the 12 days of Christmas thing and I still have 2 days to win a prize of which I forgot what it was.) And yes, that is a serial killer at your window. But he’s just saying “hi.”

3. Christopher De Voss 12/20/2012 at 5:03 am #

How did you know the underside of your left boob was sweaty?

4. Brother Jon 12/20/2012 at 6:38 am #

You just described a few of my nights, to a T.

I usually do a lot of reading and searching, as an excuse for not writing.

5. Adrienne schmadrienne 12/20/2012 at 6:43 am #

Naps are one of my favorite forms of procrastination! Isn’t it the weirdest feeling when you wake up and you literally have no idea what day/time it is. It’s a total Twilight Zone moment.

6. michellestodden 12/20/2012 at 7:08 am #

Should I feel the need to procrastinate, cleaning is the way. I will suddenly feel a need to scrub my toilet, which is never a bad idea, you know. Although, I typically don’t need an excuse to procrastinate because I have a three year-old. I won’t get jack done for the next two decades.

7. Words for Worms 12/20/2012 at 7:12 am #

The Golden Girls are still hilarious. I love to watch them wear their 80s finery. I like to procrastinate by staring at walls. I’m not creative.

8. twindaddy 12/20/2012 at 7:51 am #

Yay! I win!!

I’ve always wanted to procrastinate, but I keep putting it off.

9. isawbobdylaninaspeedo 12/20/2012 at 8:09 am #

I love it that you keep committing to these series themes and they are AWESOME!!! I would totally eat an m and m from my bra….or YOURS for that matter. Its an M&M sheesh. Can’t waste it. You are very funny and Golden Girls is a great show.

• GiggsMcGill Jill 12/20/2012 at 11:19 am #

It begs the question though: If m&ms melt in your mouth, not in your hand – that means they also don’t melt in your bras right?

• calahan 12/20/2012 at 12:28 pm #

And was the M&M found near the sweaty left boob? If so, why did it not melt? So many questions!

• Bill Friday 12/20/2012 at 4:31 pm #

Because they “melt in your mouth, not in your bra”.

(science is CRAZY that way)

• calahan 12/20/2012 at 4:32 pm #

Scientists. All they care about are boobs.

• Bill Friday 12/20/2012 at 4:44 pm #

I knew I should have stayed in school.

• calahan 12/20/2012 at 4:49 pm #

I failed science. What does that say about me?

• Bill Friday 12/20/2012 at 4:51 pm #

That we’re the same person. You just have better hair.

10. daniheart21 12/20/2012 at 9:03 am #

I guess I don’t view it as procrastination so much as writers block, well not even that really…I just know with my own writing it comes out effortlessly when it is ready and not before. When I try to force it I get crap no one wants to read. Maybe I haven’t learned how to focus it? But if I let it do what it does then I am happy with the results, but they usually are not timely nor convenient. sighs.. lol I really cannot imagine the pressure of writing for a living. hmmm I am sure this response is less than helpful. I am still contemplating my response to yesterdays post. :)

11. La La 12/20/2012 at 9:08 am #

I’ll do anything to put off writing including CLEAN which is just nonsense.

12. speaker7 12/20/2012 at 10:03 am #

I’m in that space right now. I think my tonsil were my source of inspiration and now they’re gone.

13. El Guapo 12/20/2012 at 10:12 am #

Mmm…aged boob ms….

Just write off the top of your head, I guess

14. Carrie Rubin 12/20/2012 at 10:31 am #

You had me at “I found an M&M in my bra last night.” Thanks for a great laugh. :)

15. GiggsMcGill Jill 12/20/2012 at 11:17 am #

I never put off writing! That’s why I have entries every day!

Oh wait, I just checked, I don’t have entries every day…

I guess I just wrote all that stuff in my head…

16. calahan 12/20/2012 at 12:21 pm #

Did you really find an M&M in your bra? Ha. Do you have Oompa Loompas renting space in there?

17. becca3416 12/20/2012 at 12:40 pm #

I read other people’s blogs all the time, but I read them like crazy when I am blocked up. It gives me ideas to stem from. Either that or I go sit at the bar. Something worth writing about always comes up in a bar.

18. mabukach 12/20/2012 at 1:33 pm #

I drink to kill the slow moving brain cells. Then I’ll rob a Taco Bell, and hide out at the waterpark/hotel under the alias Dr. Chester Copperpot and play hungry hungry hippos until the inspirado comes back.

19. nikkix2 12/20/2012 at 1:55 pm #

This happens whenever I have to study or wrap Christmas presents!! Procrastinate, procrastinate, procrastinate

20. jdanryan 12/20/2012 at 3:54 pm #

How I Botch It Up: Lots of news reading, some research on some projects that aren’t what I’m working on right now that lead to distractions, a few rounds of a game (preferably one where I lead an army in conquest; yeah, that’s a whole can of ‘Wha…?’ right there to explain) and then I fall asleep in front of a semi-blank screen…

21. Bill Friday 12/20/2012 at 4:43 pm #

Hey, I’ve grown a (creepy) cult following by simply NOT writing! Trust me when I say that it is better to leave a crap ton of mysterious, wordsmithy breadcrumbs all over the dang internet, than to write your heart out and have folks discover what your brain already told you…

“Sorry man… I got nothin.”

…back in 2008.

(now back to hunching over a cold, dead keyboad)

22. The Bumble Files 12/20/2012 at 6:06 pm #

Happens lots, Jen. A time limit helps me sometimes. But you did it! You succeeded fabulously! I can’t believe this is almost over, too. Went by fast.

23. artsifrtsy 12/20/2012 at 7:58 pm #

I’m gonna put off commenting on this post until tomorrow – can’t seem to come up with anything clever to say.

24. timmer 12/20/2012 at 9:00 pm #

My procrastination has procrastination and a slight case of halitosis.

25. davidhardingblogs 12/21/2012 at 3:15 am #

I never procrastinate. Ever never. Never ever ever never ever. Ever nerver Eva better ever butter butter pitter patter.

• UndercoverL 12/21/2012 at 8:13 am #

Tweedle beetle puddled muddled fuddled fiddle faddle paddle battle. Read that book. It’s awesome.

26. Stacie Chadwick 12/21/2012 at 5:06 am #

My boob sweats usually happen on the right side. Never the left. I swear. =)

27. UndercoverL 12/21/2012 at 8:12 am #

I’m sure I won’t win this because I hardly ever win anything.*le sigh* I procrastinate everything in my house to do WordPress. Then I come up with ‘sections’ to cure my writers block. Or I read someone else’s blog and steal their ideas (not really). Or I tell another story about why I don’t talk to my family. Or I just comment randomly at posts. I do that a lot. A LOT.

28. vyvacious 12/22/2012 at 9:23 pm #

I start reading other people’s blogs to inspire me. It’s not so much that I take their ideas. I just get so inspired by their thoughts and opinions that it opens the floodgates for me in the writing sense. Also, I tend to write a little every night. I just type it out on my phone. Either I write an entire post that way or I’ll just jot down a few ideas and expand a little on it. Then I email myself and spiff that shit up the next day and BAM! Post created.

1. I’m a winner! | Stuphblog - 01/26/2013

[...] was a winner in the Jen and Tonic 12 Days of Christmas extravaganza.  I was truly excited.  The last time I [...]