12 Days of Christmas- Day 9

18 Dec

My name is Jen, and I’m an addict. I can’t pinpoint the exact moment my habit made the leap from recreational use to full-blown addiction. Maybe it was the time I sat in my car during my lunch hour, participating in my new hobby. It could have been the time I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning partaking in it even though I knew I had to get up early the next day. How does one define these kinds of moments?

My name is Jen, and I’m addicted to internet memes.

I am ashamed, dear readers, because I should have been writing a post for you tonight. I come up with the concept to deliver twelve posts in a row to show my holiday spirit, and now I can’t deliver. Instead of typing feverishly, I’ve been pissing away my night looking at things like this:

88735055128250460_GX9hyLmm_c

I’ve fallen in love with various sets of internet memes over time. First, there were things which reminded me of my childhood because, you know, that was such an awesome time in my life.

85638830384040641_CHVYkHfD_c

Then I became downright obsessed with Someecards. I apologize to all my Facebook friends who had to endure that.

i-cant-wait-to-go-home-and-take-my-fucking-pants-off

Then came my retro period when I thought it was ironic and hilarious to pair graphics from the 50’s with vulgar commentary.

551420_10151435911675184_1423358685_n

This is just a picture of Gary Busey because I found it on my computer, and wanted to stick it in this post.

425009_10151860779345184_391336645_n

I can’t forget the hours spent looking at inspirational posters…

535158_10151530853215184_572042347_n

…or Pickup Line Panda.

you-remind-me-of-my-big-toe

Lastly, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention my favorite meme ever, Cocaine Bear.

407743_10151168322625184_1858978866_n

But tonight I wasn’t looking at any of these things. No, a new sheriff is in town, and he goes by the name of Grumpy Cat. It’s a cat….that looks grumpy. Come on, it’s not rocket science.

481565_10152284285160184_191180006_n

cm-36254-050bffd9e89b78

31900934

My life will not be complete until I own a cat like that.

Today’s challenge is to tell me how you waste time. Reality television? Playing Angry Birds? Drinking PBR and listening to some crappy band with a jug player in it? This is the time to fess up.

Grumpy Cat was kind enough to select today’s winner, and that person is La La! E-mail me at Sipsofjenandtonic@gmail.com to claim your prize.

See you on the flipside, peeps.

45 Responses to “12 Days of Christmas- Day 9”

1. Le Clown 12/18/2012 at 4:05 am #

Dear Jen,
    Here’s my list of time wasters:
    1. Survivor;
    2. Supernatural;
    3. Dexter;
    4. The Walking Dead;
    5. Project Runway;
    6. America’s Next Top Model;
    Fine. I’ll close the goddamm tv.
    Le Clown

• artsifrtsy 12/18/2012 at 10:06 am #

Damn you L’Eric – you stole my list!!

L’Artsi

2. La La 12/18/2012 at 4:07 am #

I was enjoying that grumpy mother fucker in the middle of the night whilst not sleeping! Yay! I’ll send you my favorite one.

I heart memes also, by the way. Too much.

3. DeeDee 12/18/2012 at 4:10 am #

Damn you and your Grumpy Cat! My hubby thinks I’m mentally deficient because I’m sitting over here giggling at dumb cat pictures at 7 AM.

My favorite meme: Bipolar Bear, as capped by people who actually have bipolar disorder. It’s a thing of joy! :D

4. jiltaroo 12/18/2012 at 4:26 am #

Well Jen that post is just a wonderful gift. How can a cat look so bloody grumpy. Mine looks positively angelic compared to that! (cause she is).

5. Christopher De Voss 12/18/2012 at 4:59 am #

Yay! La La wins…which means I lose….maybe she will share her prize with me. My time waster: wordpress.

6. SocietyRed 12/18/2012 at 5:01 am #

Too funny at 5 in the morning Jen!
    I guess one of my favorite time suckers lately is Gizoogle. I can’t remember if it was you who shared this with me but it makes me laugh every time!
    Red

7. Cathy Ulrich 12/18/2012 at 5:07 am #

My time waster, too, is WordPress. While I don’t really think of it as wasting time as I love all the blogs I follow, I’m astounded when yet another two hours has gone by in front of my computer reading and commenting. I think an addiction is something that you love and can’t seem to tear yourself away from. That’s wordpress for me…

8. saradraws 12/18/2012 at 5:09 am #

WordPress (but not you, babynipples). Facebook. Twitter. Pinterest. LinkedIn if I’m desperate. Cooking. Cleaning. Sleeping. Cooking and cleaning are a waste of time because I suck at both and neither seem to matter. Sleeping is not a waste of time unless it’s the way I do it, which means flopping around in bed with nightsweats and waking up more exhausted than the night before. Not that I’m bitter. DEBBIE DOWNER IN DA HOUSE!!!!!
    Hey, you asked.

9. Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher 12/18/2012 at 5:13 am #

I can waste hours reading books I’ve read before ~
    Wait- I DO waste hours reading books I’ve never read before ~

10. Fern DeVilliers 12/18/2012 at 5:25 am #

Pickup Line Panda is fucking hilarious. I’ve never seen him before. Must not be on the internet enough.

11. michellestodden 12/18/2012 at 6:34 am #

HGTV.

I read and re-read books on writing. Instead of just, you know, writing.

Cleaning is also a time waster because my three year-old destroys everything within thirty-seven seconds of completion.

12. Adrienne schmadrienne 12/18/2012 at 7:12 am #

I drew those “S” things all over my yearbooks. Schmidt Sticks or something like that? I think it was a skateboarding thing.

Not that it’s a waste of time (it’s going to sound wrong no matter how I explain it) but WordPress, Words With Friends, Instagram, Shahs of Sunset (it’s a guilty pleasure but a definite waster of time) and now Grumpy Cat (thanks for that new time waster).

13. twindaddy 12/18/2012 at 8:16 am #

I heart internet memes, too!! So much so that I started making my own and dedicated a page to it.

Check it out if you like: http://stuphblog.wordpress.com/stuph-memes/

Other time wasters are reading blogs, reveling in other people’s misery via sad Facebook posts, and other sites like Fmylife, Textsfromlastnight, and failblog.

14. isawbobdylaninaspeedo 12/18/2012 at 8:38 am #

So funnnneeeeeee….I love that grumpy cat!!! My biggest time waster is Netflix…I will stay up til 3 and 4 watching movies I’ve never heard of, heard of, tv shows, an entire season of something in one day, I love my sheer lack of respect for time.

15. daniheart21 12/18/2012 at 8:58 am #

I play scrabble online. I love it. I am reading a lot of blogs lately. ;) I watch ghosty stories on Saturdays when I am not busy. That’s pretty much it. lol

16. aliceatwonderland 12/18/2012 at 9:13 am #

Writing letters to pretend people in blog posts, reading blogs, participating in stupid blog contests – wait. Uh, enjoying contests cause I just know I’m going to win one of these suckers. And reality TV like Monsters Inside Me because I like to give myself nightmares.

17. MissFourEyes 12/18/2012 at 9:58 am #

I LOVE GRUMPY CAT!!
    Ok, calming down. I’m fine. Really.
    I waste time by arguing with myself as my dog watches like I’m crazy, watching that reruns of bad soaps while yelling things at the TV (again as my dog watches like I’m crazy), playing solitaire too many times, oh and Lolcats. I love lolcats!

18. artsifrtsy 12/18/2012 at 10:07 am #

Tattoo Nightmares Marathon

19. Carrie Rubin 12/18/2012 at 10:24 am #

Wow. Gary’s got some weird mismatch of the eyes going on there. (And I apologize for making that the thing I comment on…)

20. calahan 12/18/2012 at 10:36 am #

Ironically, my biggest time waster is time traveling. I spend all of this time in different times only to come back to my own time and realize I’ve wasted a bunch of time.

• Bill Friday 12/18/2012 at 1:57 pm #

Remember: “Spring ahead… Fall back”. And always set your time machine 15 minutes ahead of where you left. It gives you just enough time to get your sports bets down, and turn off things like stoves and irons and stuff… and let the cat out.

• calahan 12/18/2012 at 2:07 pm #

If I find myself too rushed, I start to forget things. I have had to use the time machine just to go back and save the cat after I’d inadvertently (and for the gajillionth time) put the iron outside and put the cat in the oven. Pewww.

21. becca3416 12/18/2012 at 11:15 am #

Memes are the language of the internet, and if you don’t speak in our native language then GTFO.

• calahan 12/18/2012 at 12:33 pm #

Yeah, what Becca said: Get That Free Oven.

22. UndercoverL 12/18/2012 at 1:07 pm #

I am addicted to commenting, so here you go, Colonic Tonic:

1- I find it hard to believe that Gary Busey’s teeth are really that long. It has to have been photo-shopped. If no: yikes. Having nightmare’s of Hugo (Speaker7) with Gary Busey’s teeth.
    2- The cat is just pissed because it’s a cat. That’s all. It could have been a dog or a leaf or a bug on a windshield, but it is a cat and that sucks for it. This is why cats always get run over. They realize what they are and can’t take the reality.

Happy Holidays! :D

23. Lyssapants 12/18/2012 at 1:52 pm #

Cocaine bear is high-larious!!!!!
    As for time wasters…..you’re looking at it. reality tv (mostly kardashians and the bachelor/ette), FB, twitter, wordpress…..allll at the same time.

24. Bill Friday 12/18/2012 at 2:02 pm #

Okay, in no particular order…

> Andes Candies…
    > Posting in comment threads…
    > Writing limericks in comment threads…
    > Stalking comment threads with limericks in them…
    > Being stalked (no names here people… you know who you are)…
    > Reading every word that spills out of your head.

DUNZO!

25. Brother Jon 12/18/2012 at 3:33 pm #

The Walking Dead has been my thing the last week or so. Other than that I’m pretty much a Facebook junkie, which is weird because I really don’t post that much. I guess I just like keeping up with everyone, all creepy style and such.

26. writerwendyreid 12/18/2012 at 4:03 pm #

I love grumpy cat! (its actually me, reincarnated) Time waster for me is the internet. I can spend hours online doing absolutely nothing.

27. vyvacious 12/18/2012 at 4:14 pm #

Yay, La La won! :)

My two biggest (and most favorite) time wasters are WORDPRESS and BAKING. Hells yeah. Oftentimes, you can find me in my underwear chowing down on my latest cupcake recipes whilst perusing WordPress, willing people to write more damn posts.

28. El Guapo 12/18/2012 at 7:35 pm #

Why, I waste time by blogging, of course.
    I thought that was obvious. ;)

29. The Bumble Files 12/18/2012 at 10:32 pm #

Blogging…yes there’s no time for anything else. It is my extra time when I should be doing ten other things. I see I’m not the only one. I love all my blogging friends so. Love the grumpy cat. I think he needs some catnip.

30. GiggsMcGill Jill 12/18/2012 at 11:28 pm #

Oh dear god, how do I NOT waste time? Oregon Settlers (on the phone…), Angry Birds Star Wars, “Say Yes to the Dress”, about 5 or 6 other tv series, on the 16th book (4th time re-read) of Laurell K Hamilton series…

31. Patty Durgan 12/18/2012 at 11:49 pm #

Bubbleshooter. Fortunately, I don’t play it very often but when I do, I’m so disgusted with myself afterward for wasting my time.

32. Change My Body...Change My Life 12/19/2012 at 3:04 am #

I read up on Bigfoot sightings.

33. benzeknees 12/19/2012 at 11:42 am #

Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, Dr. Who, Primeval, Words with Friends, Cafe World & Word Press.

34. davidhardingblogs 12/19/2012 at 7:43 pm #

That grumpy cat is so good. I don’t know why. It just is.

Like me.

35. sondrabrooks 12/20/2012 at 8:59 am #

Well, thanks to your post, now I can waste time trying to find out if Gary Busey had cosmetic surgery, and if so, what’s the deal with his eyes? And are those his real teeth?
    Speaking of which, did Robin McGraw (Dr. Phil’s wife) get new teeth? See, this is yet another subject I can research this morning instead of showering, doing the dishes, cleaning the house, writing, and paying bills. Thanks!

36. twistingthreads 12/21/2012 at 3:00 am #

Hey, now, reading other peoples’ blogs isn’t wasting time…until I realize that I haven’t made progress on my novel in days.

Civilization, on the other hand, has prevented me from doing both for a full week now.

37. travellingmo 12/21/2012 at 10:24 am #

I waste time reading blogs! It’s amazing how much time has gone by now and I’ve already read ten. But I tell myself it’s not a waste of time because at the end I’m usually inspired enough to write a post. Or to start writing a post that I actually post days later.

38. Enchanted Seashells 12/22/2012 at 11:14 am #

SOOO funny, I love some cards and the vintage ones , and I especially love your grumpy cat memes. Keep being addicted, my friend.

1. The End | 25ToFly - 12/20/2012

[...] I just can’t allow that to happen. It’s pathetic. Instead I made a meme, because Jen said they are cool, and we are a power couple, so [...]