12 Days of Christmas- Day 4

13 Dec

Holy bananas, Batman! You people really love gorillas. Or pizza. Or David Harding. Yesterday’s post was one of my most read pieces in the last few months.

I realized when I wrote this post that we’re four days into my “12 Days of Christmas” series, and I haven’t really talked about Christmas yet. Who has two thumbs and doesn’t think to talk about Christmas in a series with the word ‘Christmas’ in the title. THIS GIRL!

I'm going place

I’m going places

One of my favorite things about the holidays is the array of things you don’t get any other time of year:

• Eggnog
  • Pumpkin Spice Latte
  • Christmas Peeps
  • A tree just straight cold chillin’ in your house
  • Wearing pants with elastic in the waist without shame
  • The McRib

Wait, I’m not so sure about that last one. I think people feel like like it’s a special treat when McDonald’s sells it so it’s Christmas-y in its own way. Diarrhea from eating terrible food is the gift that keeps on giving.

"Ho Ho Ho, bitches. I'm cleaning out your intestines this Christmas."

“Ho Ho Ho, bitches. ‘Tis the season to clean out your intestines.”

Another holiday phenomenon is the vast amount of sweet treats. Fudge, pies, cookies, peanut brittle, hot cocoa, drinks with liqueurs, something with ‘bark’ in the title that doesn’t taste like tree shavings. I gained seven pounds just thinking about everything I’ll consume while I’m home for Christmas. Oh well, that’s what yoga pants are for.

Today’s challenge will be sharing one of your favorite holiday recipes. Because I’m giving and sweet and need to fill up more space in this blog post, I’ll give you two of my personal favorites.

Recipe #1: Christmas Cocktail – Poinsetta

• Champagne
  • 1/2 ounce Cointreau
  • 3 ounces cranberry juice

Combine Cointreau and cranberry juice in a champagne flute. If you’re like me and aren’t classy enough to own a set of flutes, just put it in a wine glass. A red solo cup also works. Stir it up, and then top off with the champagne. If you want to make a non-alcoholic version for the kiddies or your designated driver, replace the champagne with ginger ale.

Recipe #2: Stuffing Recipe

Maybe it’s because I grew up outside of San Francisco, but I have a serious love affair with sourdough bread. As someone who has tried to cut gluten out of her life, this is a nightmare. There are no substitutes for the beautiful tongue treat that is sourdough. I love it with butter, with jam, with cheese, plain, as a loofah in the shower. DEAR GOD SOURDOUGH, YOU TEMPTRESS.

Breathe.

I ran across a Sourdough Stuffing recipe on the Food Network website a few years ago, and instantly fell in love with it. The only change I made was using homemade chicken stock instead of chicken broth. Click here for the recipe.

sourdough

There you go! My two favorite Christmas recipes. I think I have foodies and adult beverage connoisseurs following this blog so I look forward to seeing what everyone brings to the table.

On a final note, I want to announce the winner of yesterday’s challenge. Congrats to Ashley Austrew! E-mail me at SipsofJenAndTonic@gmail.com.

Until tomorrow…

96 Responses to “12 Days of Christmas- Day 4”

1. speaker7 12/13/2012 at 4:45 am #

Once again, some of the best tags I’ve ever seen. One of my favorite recipes is to take a box of wine and affix it to my face.
    Here’s another that’s not really Christmasy, but good when you are drinking a box of wine attached to your face: pulverize a bunch of kalamata olives with one-year-aged sharp cheddar cheese, a garlic clove and a tbsp of extra virigin olive oil. Spread onto slices of baguette. Gain 200 pounds.

2. La La 12/13/2012 at 4:56 am #

Pizza and David Harding, mostly. I will definitely be making a Poinsettia cocktail! ;-)

• Jen and Tonic 12/13/2012 at 10:18 am #

I KNEW IT!! His milkshake brings all the girls to the yard.

Cheers!

3. Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher 12/13/2012 at 4:58 am #

Cheesecake is the Xmas favorite (not for me to eat b/c I’m Meh about it) but for me to make

This recipe must be made at least the day before it’s meant to be served.

Whiz up graham crackers (one sleeve of crackers at least or 1.5 cups whizzed) and add melted butter (almost a stick) & a Tbl honey or sugar.. Squish with your hands (It should stick together when squished) and then line a 9″ springform pan with the graham cracker mixture.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees until you are ready to put in your cheesecake then reduce to 300 degrees. Put in a pan of water on the bottom of the oven (bain-marie).

Mix:
    3 lbs soft cream cheese
    1.5 cups sugar
    2 tsp vanilla
    3 whole eggs (one at a time)
    2 egg yolks (one at a time)
    1 Tbl fresh lemon juice

Once all mixed, pour in springform pan and place in center rack in oven at 300 degrees for about 1,5 hours. Check – if the top is jiggly but not liquid – then turn off the oven, crack the oven door and leave the cheesecake in there for another hour. Remove it once the top is firm. Let it cool completely before putting it in the fridge overnight. Done

Add-ins: anything you want. If you want to add in sweet things – omit the lemon juice and add in more vanilla. Swirling in prickly pear syrup is delicious! Mixing some of the batter with melted caramels and chocolate is delicious – then layer it in with the plain cheesecake batter. – makes a bulls-eye pattern.

• saradraws 12/13/2012 at 9:32 am #

I’m gonna find some gluten-free graham crackers and PUTTHIS IN MY MOUTH.

• Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher 12/13/2012 at 10:10 am #

You can skip the grahams all together if you want and make it without a crust…
        it’s are really good recipe – you end up with a 5 or 6 lbs dessert :)

• Jen and Tonic 12/13/2012 at 10:23 am #

Are you serious?! This looks so delicious, and although I’ve heard making cheesecake is an art form, I’m going to try it. Thanks so much for sharing!

• Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher 12/13/2012 at 10:51 am #

Am I serious about making cheesecakes? I made them almost daily when I baked for 5 years –
        The ingredients are easy, the hard part is judging when it’s done. But the bain-marie keeps it from cracking and the cracked oven allows it to finish cooking until it’s firm but not dry. It’s an amazing recipe.

4. Christopher De Voss 12/13/2012 at 5:14 am #

My favorite recipe for Stoufer’s Mac and cheese.

1) Lift corner of box to vent
    2) Cook on high for 2 minutes
    3) Open lid and stir
    4) Cook an additional minute to a minute and a half
    5) Let stand in microwave for one minute
    6) Caution: contents will be hot
    7) Cry

• Jen and Tonic 12/13/2012 at 10:24 am #

No lie, I had one of those two days ago, and this was my exact process. Twinsies?

• GiggsMcGill Jill 12/13/2012 at 11:51 am #

HAHAHA! This is all I ever eat – only insert “meat lasagna” for “mac and cheese”

5. Daan van den Bergh 12/13/2012 at 5:45 am #

My favorite recipe is drunk duck, it’s a Dutch recipe and I am not a cook so I don’t know how to translate it. But it basically ends up with a burned duck in the oven and me sleeping face down in the toiletseat. It’s a guaranteed success at every party.

6. aliceatwonderland 12/13/2012 at 6:04 am #

I just invite Sarah Lee and Little Debbie over and they take care of everything.

7. RFL 12/13/2012 at 6:08 am #

Great recipes! I’ll have to try that drink. I usually stick with Grandma’s Eggnog recipe which is basically 3 parts bourbon or rum, a splash of eggnog, and some cinnamon or nutmeg sprinkled on top. Drink until it burns off that one chin hair and you’re ready for naked caroling.

• Jen and Tonic 12/13/2012 at 10:25 am #

I’m going to double this recipe up because I have TWO chin hairs, and I’m beginning to look like a goat.

8. twindaddy 12/13/2012 at 6:51 am #

Dammit! My recipe is at home… And I won’t be there tonight. Can you just take my word that I have an awesome recipe for Buffalo Chicken Dip and declare me the winner?

• Jen and Tonic 12/13/2012 at 10:26 am #

If you win, I will make you forward me the recipe. Even if you don’t I’ll make you forward it to me because I’m bossy.

• twindaddy 12/13/2012 at 10:27 am #

I’ll be home tomorrow and forward it to you…if I remember…

9. artsifrtsy 12/13/2012 at 7:30 am #

Everyone needs a casserole to take to a holiday party – hominy does it for me

4 cans white hominy drained
    2 cans chopped green chills
    1 pint sour cream
    2 bags grated pepper jack cheese
    salt and pepper

Dump everything except the cheese into a casserole and stir it up. Put the cheese on top. Bake at 350 for an hour or until the cheese starts to brown. Be prepared to explain what the heck hominy is to your guests – it’s kinda like corn nuts only not crunchy.

• Jen and Tonic 12/13/2012 at 10:27 am #

My mom used to be obsessed with hominy! We literally had ten cans in our pantry at any given time. I thought everyone ate it until I mentioned it one day and the other person didn’t know what it was. That trend has continued ever since.

• artsifrtsy 12/13/2012 at 12:53 pm #

I think my mom got this recipe from the wife of a Hells Angel that used to go shooting with my dad – before we made it this way she just dumped the can in gravy – it was about as ugly as corn can get.

10. jmlindy422 12/13/2012 at 7:31 am #

I make a Red Velvet cake every year ’cause it looks all Christmasy. I make Paula Deen’s grandmother’s recipe. Here it is http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/grandmother-pauls-red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html

• Jen and Tonic 12/13/2012 at 10:29 am #

Red Velvet is always a hit! I hadn’t tried it until a few years ago, and was instantly in love.

11. Fish Out of Water 12/13/2012 at 7:41 am #

“A tree just straight cold chillin’ in your house”. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for that.

12. Soul Walker 12/13/2012 at 8:19 am #

I like to bring Jesus to the table on His holiday… because I like it when everyone around me feels comfortable.

• Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher 12/13/2012 at 10:12 am #

I could be really off-colour (for my Canadian friends) with a remark, but I’ll keep my rude in-check cause I’ve ‘philosophized’ with you, Soul Walker ~

• Soul Walker 12/13/2012 at 10:51 am #

I am not sure why you put philosophized in quotes. That is a real and perfectly awesome word.

• Soul Walker 12/13/2012 at 10:55 am #

Oh, and our philosophizing was a good time. I am sorry I was so busy that week and couldn’t invest more energy into it. Thank you for that. I love that stuff.

• Jen and Tonic 12/13/2012 at 10:38 am #

Does he bring a side dish?

• Soul Walker 12/13/2012 at 10:50 am #

He brings salvation and judgement and the mystery of the incarnation… which is pretty much the best thing ever… although I do like stuffing. You should ask Him if He’ll bring some stuffing.

13. Carrie Rubin 12/13/2012 at 9:17 am #

My favorite Christmas recipe is pretty complex. It goes like this:

Make a Christmas cookie
    Frost cookie
    Eat cookie

• Jen and Tonic 12/13/2012 at 10:39 am #

If you’re like I am, the cookie never actually makes it to a plate. Pan > frosting > my mouth > my belly.

14. saradraws 12/13/2012 at 9:36 am #

I can’t cook. I can’t sort of bake. I know a fudge recipe that is top secret family recipe stuff.
    Gluten-free rice krispie squares are about as far as I get.
    Otherwise, my recipe includes pretending to help my mom while she cooks.
    One part genuine helpfulness,
    one part hoping she’ll tell me to get out of the kitchen,
    one part stealing cookie dough or turkey skin.

• Jen and Tonic 12/13/2012 at 10:41 am #

GF baking is hard. It’s super science-y and involves exotic ingredients only found in a hippie’s basement.

Turkey skin rules the world.

• saradraws 12/15/2012 at 6:12 am #

Yes. I wasn’t sure if I should write that part out loud. Turkey skin all over my face…

15. Madame Weebles 12/13/2012 at 10:01 am #

Speak for yourself, lady, ANY time of year is good for wearing pants with elastic in the waist, as long as you’re not concerned about being viewed by society as a sad, pathetic wretch. There must be something wrong with me because I do not like sourdough bread. Everyone else I know LOVES it. I’m about to start my annual cookie baking, but I haven’t decided on all the cookies yet.

• Jen and Tonic 12/13/2012 at 10:42 am #

I am typing to you with yoga pants on. It’s so hard to admit this to myself, but I love a good elastic pant. My transition into being a senior citizen is already happening. Next step: home perm.

16. calahan 12/13/2012 at 10:07 am #

We are searching desperately for a non-wheat sourdough. If I don’t find one soon, I will use my third and final wish with Qastar the genie for a good recipe. Sorry, world peace, but sourdough is more important.

I’m gonna try the Poinsetta drink, it sounds yummy.

17. Human In Recovery 12/13/2012 at 10:12 am #

I don’t know that this is an exclusively Christmassy treat, however it’s rich, sweet, crunchy and ridiculously easy. I am absolutely certain more creative people than myself can customize it and design suitably Christmas themed treats.

Birds Nest
    1 bag of crispy chow mein noodles
    1 bag of baking chips (chocolate, bittersweet chocolate, butterscotch, peanut butter)
    1 stick of butter

1) Melt butter over medium heat in large sauce pan
    2) Stir in bag of chips
    3) Keep stirring, gently, until melted and blended into a smooth sauce
    4) Use a flat rubber spatula to gently stir in noodles.
    5) Mix until all noodles are fully coated.
    6) Spoon onto wax paper covered cookie sheet
    7) Let stand or refrigerate until hardened

• Jen and Tonic 12/13/2012 at 10:47 am #

Wow, would never think to use chow mein noodles in a baking recipe! Sounds really simple to make. My kind of recipe.

• Human In Recovery 12/13/2012 at 10:52 am #

The best thing is it’s a no-bake recipe. Melt, stir, scoop, drop, and let cool.

18. becca3416 12/13/2012 at 10:18 am #

I want to drink poinsettias with you please.

• Jen and Tonic 12/13/2012 at 10:47 am #

THIS MUST HAPPEN

• becca3416 12/13/2012 at 10:48 am #

Where do you live again? I’ve been checking out Priceline all day.

• Jen and Tonic 12/13/2012 at 10:54 am #

Portland, OR! I’d actually love to come down your way too. Never stayed in your part of the country. We could always do both. Why limit our love and happiness?

• becca3416 12/13/2012 at 11:03 am #

You’re right. Come on down for Mardi Gras! We can throw beads at strangers and hide plastic babies in cakes!

• Jen and Tonic 12/13/2012 at 11:19 am #

Hiding babies in cakes sounds terrifying and amazing

• becca3416 12/13/2012 at 11:21 am #

Sometimes the babies are made of metal too. It is disturbingly rewarding.

19. Stacie Chadwick 12/13/2012 at 10:40 am #

I love stuffing, but I ADORE cocktails. Cocktails and stuffing together? Perfect holiday.
    xoxo

20. iRuniBreathe 12/13/2012 at 10:42 am #

Still looking for a gluten-free sourdough-anything recipe. I’m sure someone has one, but I am too tired from pulling on yoga pants to get much farther than wishful thinking.
    A tree pole in the house is much cozier than the yard.

• Jen and Tonic 12/13/2012 at 11:19 am #

There are tons of recipes out there, but so many of them are entirely too complicated for me. I read some study about how the sourdough makes bread tolerable for Celiacs. Don’t know much about that though.

• iRuniBreathe 12/13/2012 at 11:51 am #

Interesting, but I’m not about to be a test subject. You are right in that recipes are complicated. First you have to be able to find the xanthan, locust bean, and guar gums, let alone know when and how to mix them in.

21. daniheart21 12/13/2012 at 12:24 pm #

This is a very fun post. I make this for my daughter every year, it is one of her favs. You take whole shelled pecans put them in a saute pan add butter (probably 1/2 a stick) a teaspoon of vanilla extract, a half a teaspoon of nutmeg, and simply saute to taste. I like them a little crunchy. Then I coat them with Splenda, because I don’t do sugar, but you can coat them with sugar too. Yummmmy! :)

• Jen and Tonic 12/14/2012 at 6:27 pm #

That sounds really delicious, and relatively simple. Although, the last time I tried to make toasted almonds I set the smoke alarm off.

22. The Bumble Files 12/13/2012 at 2:32 pm #

Yes, I love the tags! I, too, enjoy sourdough bread. Yummy! The drink recipe looks tasty, too. I’ll have to think on a recipe.

• Jen and Tonic 12/14/2012 at 6:28 pm #

Another sourdough fan! And yes, the drink is delicious, definitely worth a try.

23. vyvacious 12/13/2012 at 5:07 pm #

May I say that…I LOVE YOUR OPENING LINE?!?! <3 Batman!! http://vyvacious.wordpress.com/2012/10/08/speculoos-surprise-cupcakes/

This modified recipe for Chocolate-Filled Cinnamon Sugar Monkey Bread came to me a few months ago so they haven’t become a tradition YET. The warm, comforting feeling I get when I bite into each piece that reveals a chocolatey surprise definitely tells me that these will be a hit Christmas morning when we’re playing with all our presents :) –> http://vyvacious.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/chocolate-filledcinnamon-sugar-monkey-bread-muffins/

And finally, Chewy Oreo Treats. My family’s recommended quick fix when they want a deliciously chewy treat to eat in minimal time –> http://vyvacious.wordpress.com/2012/10/24/womens-day-off-chewy-oreo-treats/

P.S. You DO have foodies that follow your blog! :P

• Jen and Tonic 12/14/2012 at 6:29 pm #

Batman lovers, UNITE! I actually thought of you specifically when I wrote the foodie bit ;)

I’m heading to your blog now to check out those recipes.

• vyvacious 12/26/2012 at 9:34 am #

Yes!!! I’m so glad you thought of me! :D

24. michellestodden 12/13/2012 at 6:10 pm #

I only make this around Christmas, so to me, this is a Christmas drink.

The recipe as is makes a whole bunch of beverages, so I recommend either bottling some as gifts or cutting the recipe down to size.

Apple Pie

3 cups brown sugar
    8 cinnamon sticks
    2 gallons apple juice
    1 gallon sweetened apple cider

Simmer for one hour. While cooling, but still warm, add 1L Everclear.

Kick back with Love Actually and enjoy.

• Jen and Tonic 12/14/2012 at 6:37 pm #

Wow, that drink sounds divine. And easy. Doesn’t get better than that.

25. davidhardingblogs 12/14/2012 at 12:19 am #

Yes, I do love David Harding so so much. He is hot as. Also he is nice. I’d want to marry him if he wasn’t taken.
    Recipe: Christmas nachos! It’s like regular nachos but you stick a candy cane in the middle. The bonus is if you let the cheese cool and set, you can use the cane to carry it round like a handle.

• Jen and Tonic 12/14/2012 at 6:38 pm #

I tried your Christmas nachos, and people kept asking me where I got my “really delicious umbrella”

• davidhardingblogs 12/15/2012 at 12:38 pm #

Whenever I see people holding nachos over their head like that I think ‘Christmas’ …sniff…memories…

26. Bill Friday 12/14/2012 at 12:31 am #

Okay, this will come as a shock to that small segment of the world that knows me as a foodie… who likes him some alcohol, but this is my favorite pair of Christmas recipes (food and drink).

Food:

Grilled, whole Tri-Tip (cooked medium rare). Allow to cool in the refrigerator overnight. Slice paper thin.

Take one box of Premium Saltine Crackers. Spread liberally with mayonnaise on the unsalted side.

Lay sliced meat on mayonnaise side of crackers.

Serve on paper plate.

Drink:

Three ice cubes in any sized container.

Add three ounces of Bulleit Rye Whiskey.

Serve.

There you go. I’ll be serving this all December long. And January through November too.

Enjoy!!!

• Jen and Tonic 12/14/2012 at 6:39 pm #

Meat + mayo + cracker….you’re my perfect man.

Also, I like your cocktail. How did you come up with such a complicated, but delicious, drink?

• Bill Friday 12/15/2012 at 12:17 am #

I’m a simple, yet complicated man. And every now and then, I have been confused with perfection. Oh, and the answer to your question is… Trial and Error.

God bless meat + mayo + cracker!!!

27. Ashley Austrew 12/14/2012 at 6:33 am #

Oh man. What you said about the McRib made me pretty much die laughing. Also, I won? What the what?

28. Lyssapants 12/14/2012 at 7:58 pm #

zomg. I just gained 5 pounds in my ankles.

29. travellingmo 12/16/2012 at 10:32 am #

That drink looks awesome! I love how to make it non-alcoholic you cut out the champagne, but not the contrineau. Kids need to have something to knock them out after all that sugar.

• Jen and Tonic 12/16/2012 at 1:01 pm #

HAHA!!!! I just realized that I didn’t take out the Contrineau. As you can see, I don’t do things non-alcoholic very often.