NaNoWriNO: The Conclusion

NaNoWriNO Day 30

Topic: THE END!!!!!!

——————————————————————————————————————————————-

I must confess, I am kind of sad NaNoWriNO is over. It felt a bit like running a marathon. The first week started off pretty easily, and I was overly confident about the challenge. The second week got slightly more difficult, but I managed to power through it. The third week I basically wanted to die. This last week seemed to be relatively painless because of the endorphin rush, or maybe because of all the drugs I do.

10k-someecards-read-and-exercise

Were all of my posts great? Hell to the no. Did I put forth effort so that nothing was a total waste of internet space? You betcha.

Let’s break down my NaNoWriNO experience, shall we?

The Good

• I completed it (sweet mother of all things holy, I COMPLETED IT)
  • I realized I can write every day, and more than just “Why does my breath smell like cat litter?” on a random post-it note
  • I had a ton of fun doing it despite my constant whining
  • I gained new followers, and found new bloggers
  • The birth of my Phonics by Tonic™ greeting card line! (thanks again Bill Friday)
  • Some of you seemed to actually enjoy this
  • I opened up and wrote a little more personally than I normally do on this blog
  • Some of the comments made on my posts made me guffaw
  • I learned that I waste a lot of time on Facebook or Pinterest or David Hasselhoff fansites when I could be writing

The Bad

• Sleep deprivation
  • No time for other hobbies
  • Mandatory posts took the joy out of writing them at times
  • Wishing I had more time to brainstorm about certain topics I picked
  • I deviated from the challenge a couple of times
  • I probably made typos in more than a few places

The Ugly

• One of my favorite things about blogging is reading other people’s blogs, and I didn’t have nearly enough time for that
  • Keeping up with comments

So, it was mostly good. NaNoWriNO was definitely a win!

winning

Here’s how the posts fared…

Top 3 Viewed

Tears of a Clown

Dickorating

Live Long and Prosper

Top 3 Commented

Tears of a Clown

Feliz Cumpleaños

Clothes Encounter of a Bad Kind

Top 3 Crowd Favorites

Greeting Card Post #1

Greeting Card Post #2

Greeting Card Post #3

I want to sincerely thank all of you for sticking by me during this challenge. I know it’s not easy to take time out of your days to read this many posts, and I really appreciate all of the participation. I seriously don’t think I would have made it through the challenge if people weren’t interacting as much as they did.

I also want to send a huge shout out and thank you to my girl, Speaker7. She jumped on this runaway train with me, and I think she did an amazing job. If you aren’t following her yet you should be.

This is dinosaur for, "FUCK YEAH, SPEAKER7!"

This is dinosaur for, “FUCK YEAH, SPEAKER7!”

Lastly, I want to give a nod to those who completed NaNoWriMo which is NaNoWriNO’s older, more belligerent brother. This is a huge accomplishment, and I like to give props where props are due. I’ll link to “I’M DONE!” posts as I see them come in. If you want me to link to yours, just leave it as a comment below.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to catch up on some sleep.

————————————————————————————————————————————————-

NaNoWriMO Winners!

The Bumble Files – I’m a NaNoWriMo Winner! I did it!

The Eff Stop – Lorri Anna Banana

Stork Hunting – “Help Wanted”

—————————————————————————————————————————————————

Thanks again, Hooked on Tonics!

NaNoWriNO Day 29

89 Responses to “NaNoWriNO: The Conclusion”

1. Well done, Ms. Sharp. And thank you for making the last 30 days a treat to look at my email in box. Usually, I have spam on top of annoying sale reminders of things I will never buy on there. Looking forward to your next post, though. :-)

• Jen and Tonic 11/30/2012 at 10:58 am #

Thanks for hanging on! I feel like I’ve been so absent from everything (Expats, your blog, others’ blogs) that it’ll be nice to reconnect again. I’m glad I was squished between your Bed Bath & Beyond and Target e-mails :)

2. Cathy Ulrich 11/30/2012 at 5:57 am #

Congrats, Jen. You did a great job. I enjoyed the marathon and read, I think, all of them. And I don think the cards were my favorites, although there were a lot of high points.
    Cathy

• Jen and Tonic 11/30/2012 at 10:59 am #

Yeah, it’d be interesting to see which ones were everyone’s favorites. It’s so personal what “speaks to you” in a blog post.

Thanks so much for being a loyal follower through this!

3. Rutabaga the Mercenary Researcher 11/30/2012 at 6:09 am #

Congrats! So here’s what’s been killing me lately – reading everyone’s posts and then being too worn out to write my own…I’m seriously wondering how people keep up this pace on a daily basis b/c how can I expect people to read my work when I don’t reciprocate (and I enjoy reading other people’s work)? This is where I’m sitting right now – I am seriously wondering if I have gotten myself in over my head… Sometimes I wonder if I should stop – because I feel like this amazing world can just spin right out of control ~

Does anyone else feel thusly?

• Jen and Tonic 11/30/2012 at 11:00 am #

ABSOLUTELY. I am getting to the point where I can’t read everyone who reads me, and it really hurts me. I don’t want people to feel that I don’t care, and that they don’t matter. They absolutely do.

Additionally, I’ve found some really great bloggers very recently, and I’d hate to miss out on that opportunity in the future.

4. TJLubrano 11/30/2012 at 6:39 am #

Wooohoooooo!!! I don’t think that there’s such thing as an overdose on J&T. Not for me anyone, but you know how I think about your blog…

I loved all your posts and HUGE congrats on completing your challenge and your new greeting card line!! You know I’ll share it everywhere when it’s up and running! :D

*waves*

• Jen and Tonic 11/30/2012 at 11:01 am #

You are always so kind to me TJ. One of the best friends a girl could ask for!

I am actually going to be e-mailing you about the greeting cards very soon.

5. saradraws 11/30/2012 at 7:23 am #

I’m not going to comment so you get a little break.

• Love and Lunchmeat 11/30/2012 at 10:42 am #

Ha! Jen, you should totally ignore this comment. Also, please ignore mine. Sit down, and have a drink while you peruse that David Hasselhoff fansite. Also, you should have a burger. You know David would want you to have a burger.

Congrats!

• Jen and Tonic 11/30/2012 at 11:01 am #

Comment.

6. Madame Weebles 11/30/2012 at 7:31 am #

YEAH girl. You and speaker7 are the shiz-nit.

• Jen and Tonic 11/30/2012 at 11:02 am #

Word up. I’m ready to take a quick breather, and dive back in with your proposition. Also, I love that you compared us to Rush. You are, obviously, Geddy Lee.

7. twindaddy 11/30/2012 at 7:42 am #

You are an inspiration to us all. Or something.

8. Carrie Rubin 11/30/2012 at 7:46 am #

Congratulations on completing your goal. That’s always satisfying, no matter what the goal is. In fact, my goal today is to eat a piece of cake. I’m pretty sure I’ll fulfill it…

• Jen and Tonic 11/30/2012 at 11:03 am #

That sounds like a WAY better goal than what I had. I should have thought this through more.

9. Stacie Chadwick 11/30/2012 at 7:49 am #

I’m beyond impressed, Jen. You’ve written more quality work in the past month than I have in the entire year. Get that well-deserved rest and an even more well deserved cocktail!

• Jen and Tonic 11/30/2012 at 11:04 am #

That’s not true! You always write kickass stuff. Your posts are always long and thoughtful and well-written. It makes me hate you a little.

But then I remembered we’re soulmates and I get over it.

10. speaker7 11/30/2012 at 8:43 am #

Is there any way to get shark-riding dinosaur on a T-shirt because I would wear the shit out of that. And the kids in the library would be like “What does that mean Mrs. Speaker7?” And I would say “It means I fucking rock, kids. What the fuck do you think it means? My friend Jen thinks so. Now get away from me.”

Well done, ol’ chap. I enjoyed reading you every day. Although some days were a struggle, I sort of like the discipline of the whole thing. But I am looking forward to a little breaky-poo.

• Jen and Tonic 11/30/2012 at 11:09 am #

I am going to find out if there is, and I am going to get one for the both of us. You did a great job, seriously. I can’t believe the quality of the funny in your posts each day. After awhile I kept going back to fart jokes, and I knew it was time for this to be over.

Also, I love the way you handle kids at your library. Gotta keep them in line.

11. The Bumble Files 11/30/2012 at 8:52 am #

Yay, Jen! You did it!! I’m proud of you. Way to hang in there. My progression with NaNo was about the same…third week I wanted to die. Well done. Thanks for linking me!

12. daniheart21 11/30/2012 at 9:02 am #

sweet dreams Jen. Good for you. Maybe one day I will attempt such a thing. LOL

• Jen and Tonic 11/30/2012 at 11:09 am #

Thank you!! Oh, and I just saw your facebook e-mail today. FB never notifies me anymore. Jerks.

• daniheart21 11/30/2012 at 11:12 am #

I just posted my REAL first post. I always have such anxiety…so stupid. LOL Thank you sweet Jen for introducing me to wordpress and Sara, and all the other bloggers I will undoubtedly meet. :) you rock!

• Jen and Tonic 11/30/2012 at 11:19 am #

You will meet so many great people here, I promise. Congrats on your new blog!! I promise I will check it out when I get a chance :)

13. iRuniBreathe 11/30/2012 at 9:08 am #

You knocked back the Tonic for this month of posting. Great posts, great writing, and always something to look forward to. Definitely go get some sleep, so the rest of us can but *try* to catch up to your glory.
    (and you and Speaker7 and the Weebs will conquer!)

• Jen and Tonic 11/30/2012 at 11:10 am #

All you have to do is write sober, and you’ve already beat me at my own game.

• iRuniBreathe 11/30/2012 at 11:11 am #

Ahhh, but I have kids, and that adds a whack more neurosis and incohesion to your life than any good glass will.

• Jen and Tonic 11/30/2012 at 11:13 am #

Excellent point. Kids are the devil’s kool-aid.

• iRuniBreathe 11/30/2012 at 11:15 am #

And no sipping is allowed. All or nothing on this train.

• Jen and Tonic 11/30/2012 at 11:20 am #

BALLS TO THE WALLS

14. Lyssapants 11/30/2012 at 10:07 am #

The dinosaur shark picture was like the icing on the Jen Tonic cake for me.
    Or maybe the olive in the tonic?
    Some kind of awesomely delicious garnish.

• Jen and Tonic 11/30/2012 at 11:10 am #

Glenn Beck on top of Rush Limbaugh?

• Lyssapants 11/30/2012 at 3:27 pm #

….as long as they aren’t getting any pleasure out of it.

15. becca3416 11/30/2012 at 10:39 am #

In case you weren’t aware, you’re like… everywhere these days. Congrats! I think they were all great.

• Jen and Tonic 11/30/2012 at 11:11 am #

I’m everywhere these days? I always did want my face on a billboard…

• becca3416 11/30/2012 at 11:12 am #

Seriously, I can’t read anyone’s blog without your name being there somewhere. Not that I mind.

• Jen and Tonic 11/30/2012 at 11:12 am #

Those twenties I’ve been slipping them have really paid off.

• becca3416 11/30/2012 at 11:16 am #

Note to self: acquire money.

• Jen and Tonic 11/30/2012 at 11:20 am #

Try hooking. You’re better looking than I am so I bet you could get way more than the $10 an hour I’m asking.

• becca3416 11/30/2012 at 11:25 am #

Hm. Well my long johns WOULD provide an easy access point what with the hole in the crotch and all. I think you’re on to something.

16. Ruby Tuesday 11/30/2012 at 11:17 am #

I’m very proud of you, and I loved every one of your posts!

Oh, and every time you mention the runaway train thing, Soul Asylum starts playing in my head. Unfortunate (hair), but true. ;)

• Jen and Tonic 11/30/2012 at 11:21 am #

Thank you Ruby!! You managed to keep up with me despite your setbacks this month. THAT’S impressive.

And yeah, the song pops into my head too ;)

• Ruby Tuesday 11/30/2012 at 11:49 am #

You made me. I had no choice. I was in your thrall. I could have been lying on the operating table for a 48 hour surgery (even though I don’t think they do those anymore), and I would have made the nurse wake me up so she could read your posts to me. :)

17. melissasuewho 11/30/2012 at 11:18 am #

Congrats, Jen! Every time (both of them) that I’ve sat down to write this month, I’ve thought about you and your steadfast commitment to the challenge, and I have just been in awe. *stands up and applauds* I truly don’t know how you did it. *bows down and chants “We’re not worthy!*

• Jen and Tonic 11/30/2012 at 11:22 am #

I don’t know how I did it. When I finished this post last night, I looked at my collection of posts and thought, “How the hell did that happen?”

WordPress is such a great place for encouragement. I seriously believe I only made it through because of that.

18. Bill Friday 11/30/2012 at 12:15 pm #

Wow… the end of an era. And the beginning of a new one.

(and me without a limerick… sheeesh!)

Let me just say that, without NaNoWriNo you never would have experienced…

> Sleep deprivation along the lines of Christian Bale’s character in “The Machinist”.
    > Drinking more decaf in one month than is consumed by the entire country of Switzerland (home of the “Swiss water decaffeination process”) in one calendar year.
    > Subliminal brainwashing from looking at all those pictures of The Hoff on Google Images.
    > The knowledge that the whole world wants to “Be Like Tonic”.
    > Oh… and that handy cash cow of a greeting card business, now the trending hashtag for 2013 (and beyond) #PhonicsByTonic.

And we never would have experienced YOU getting your writerly shit together in such a boot-camp-by-proxy sort of way.

Oh, and… I draw a killer bunch of stick figures… you know, if you need that sort of thing. Just sayin.

So now, you’re off to enjoy your REBOOT. Just you… and your 17 cats. I hope it does you as much good as this month on #NaNoWriNo did all the rest of us.

• Jen and Tonic 12/06/2012 at 11:49 pm #

I’m going to have you write all of my recaps from now on. One question: won’t it be hard to upstage me on my own blog from now on? You did such a good job of it during NaNoWriNO ;)

And…you are SO part of Phonics by Tonic.

19. vyvacious 11/30/2012 at 1:07 pm #

Congrats! It must be a really amazing (and exhausting) feeling! I hope to take part in it next year :) And I must say, I absolutely love the picture that that velociraptor killing bitches whilst riding Jaws.

• Jen and Tonic 12/06/2012 at 11:49 pm #

The badassery in that picture is second to none.

20. calahan 11/30/2012 at 1:30 pm #

I haven’t gotten tired of reading anything you’ve written, Jen. I’ve looked forward to all of your posts.

• Jen and Tonic 12/06/2012 at 11:49 pm #

That seriously means a lot to me! I’m glad I continued to entertain.

21. GiggsMcGill Jill 11/30/2012 at 1:40 pm #

Congrats congrats! I’ll have bubbly and chocolates for you to consume.

22. writerwendyreid 11/30/2012 at 3:20 pm #

Congrats on finishing up Jen! And you did a stupendous job! :-)

23. jdanryan 11/30/2012 at 4:42 pm #

Congrats on getting to he end of the month. I especially liked “Tears of a Clown” and the greeting cards; you may have a new line on the side to help with the slush fund…

The sleep deprivation thing, yeah, I ran into a lot of that during my run as well. How did you get over those periods?

Also, did you ever, you know, out of curiosity, do a word count over the month, just to compare what you did with what you would have been doing if you were going through the NaNoWriMo Death March…?

• Jen and Tonic 12/06/2012 at 11:51 pm #

I did not do a word count. I average about 500 words a post so I’d guess I did around 15k words. Not bad! Not nearly the 50k those who did the real challenge had to do, but really good for me.

How about you?

24. artsifrtsy 11/30/2012 at 5:24 pm #

I have really enjoyed this month of reading and writing. As I tried to hit my numbers everyday I would take a break and read posts like yours and Speaker7′s – they were a welcome distraction. Well done!!

I said “I’m DONE” on Monday with this post:

• Jen and Tonic 12/06/2012 at 11:55 pm #

OOF! Sorry I just got to this now. Updated my post.

Congrats on finishing NaNoWriMo. I have much respect for you.

• artsifrtsy 12/07/2012 at 6:24 am #

No worries – thanks so much for the shout out! Congrats on completing NaNoWriNO – it was a blast to read.

25. benzeknees 11/30/2012 at 5:27 pm #

Congrats on meeting your goal! I have enjoyed this month of daily posts enormously. And I loved the cards. As a new follower, I am very pleased to have added you to my daily reading.

• Jen and Tonic 12/06/2012 at 11:56 pm #

Glad to have you aboard the train to crazy town! Thanks for supporting me during the challenge :)

26. Justcallmegertie 11/30/2012 at 9:12 pm #

Woohoo! Fanbloodytastic. I have to admit, I get bored easily and I thought you did an excellent job keeping me engaged for 30 days!

• Jen and Tonic 12/06/2012 at 11:59 pm #

As someone who also gets the same way, this made me happy. Thank you so much!

27. kenthinksaloud 12/01/2012 at 2:41 am #

Well done! Now…relax…possibly… :)

28. Storkhunter 12/01/2012 at 11:43 am #

Congrats Jen. I agree with you about NaNoWriMo/NO impinging on blog reading time. I am playing catch up now.
    I think your commitment to write a post every day was awesome, and your quality did not falter – each post was great. Well done. You should get an award.
    I didn’t do an official “I’m done,” post but it was the intro to my “Help Wanted” post, http://storkhunting.com/2012/11/26/help-wanted/

• Jen and Tonic 12/07/2012 at 12:00 am #

I’m really happy to hear that most people didn’t see me barely churning something out. While some things were certainly better than others, I’m proud of finishing.

I’m updating this post now to include your post. Sorry it’s so late!

29. SummerSolsticeGirl 12/03/2012 at 6:25 am #

Yay! Congrats! (only having my first donut right now. Also, apparently I had never typed the word donut before and my spell-check wanted to change it to do-not. Ha!)

Where was I?

Oh yes, congratulations! w00t w00t!

Sorry I didn’t read half of them. I was sick for pretty much all of November

• Jen and Tonic 12/07/2012 at 12:03 am #

No worries about being sick and missing this. Your health is most important! Thanks for always being such an awesome Hooked on Tonic :)

30. SocietyRed 12/05/2012 at 4:52 pm #

Jen. You rock. Congrats on the achievement. Loved them all. I think you are amazing!

• Jen and Tonic 12/07/2012 at 12:04 am #

Thanks for the awesome topic suggestions. Because of you, I can proudly say I have cross-dressed a football.

31. Soul Walker 12/07/2012 at 9:47 pm #

I want t-shirts with the 10k and the dinosaur on the shark… is that possible?

• Jen and Tonic 12/09/2012 at 2:00 pm #

If I could license that photo I’d make shirts for everyone who followed me during NaNoWriNO.

32. Maddie Cochere 12/11/2012 at 8:41 pm #

Jen, I just saw your cute avatar stop at my pizza bender post. I’ve seen you around a bit, and decided it was time to run over here and push the follow button. I wish I would have been here for your NaNoWriNo posts, but that blasted NaNoWriMo kept me from getting around as I wanted. I’ll have to make a winter project of your archives. ;-)

• Jen and Tonic 12/11/2012 at 9:02 pm #

Major kudos to finishing the beast that is NaNoWriMo. I wrote around 15k words and THAT was difficult.

• Maddie Cochere 12/11/2012 at 9:21 pm #

I can’t believe you wrote every day for a month! That would kill me in itself, and keeping up with comments … phew! You must have been chained to your computer. Thanks for the follow. I’m looking forward to reading you.

1. Does anyone else feel thusly? | The Mercenary Researcher - 11/30/2012

[...] my friends, I wrote a comment on Jen & Tonic’s most recent post about The Conclusion of  NaNoWriNO  (writing a post each day, basically).  And it made me think [...]

2. Post-NaNoWriMo « Anthony Richer - 12/01/2012