NaNoWriNO Day 29
Topic: 2013 and beyond
There’s this guy on WordPress named Le Clown. Haven’t heard of him? Consider yourself a (wo)man alone on an island because he’s kind of a big deal. He put up a post a couple of days ago talking about his plans for his blog in 2013, and graciously agreed to let me steal his idea and talk about what I’ll be doing on Sips of Jen and Tonic next year.
Of course, we might be getting ahead of ourselves here. If the Mayan calendars were correct, we’ll all be dust on December 21st, and any plans we had are going to explode into a fiery oblivion. What a downer those Mayans were. I’ve always had a problem with authority so I’m simply not going to let the apocalypse affect me.
Let’s start off by talking about what my plans were for 2012:
- World domination
If my bank account and social status are any indication of how I did, I’d say that I didn’t meet either of those goals. On the plus side, my credit is now good enough to get a real cell phone instead of a prepaid one. Finally! A phone that isn’t endorsed by every drug dealer in the city.
Okay, so I didn’t achieve what I set out to do, but I did accomplish some pretty awesome things:
- Created a body of work I’m (mostly) proud of
- Put more time and energy into my Facebook and Twitter accounts so that they don’t look like ghost towns
- Increased my readership 1300%
- Met some really great people, some of whom are now my friends outside of WordPress
- I will be completing NaNoWriNO tomorrow
- Grew as a writer
- Read a lot of great material, and wished I had written some of those things
Sometimes in life you don’t get the things you asked for, you get the things you didn’t know you wanted. I’d say my blog is a lot like that. I still kicked ass, just in a way I didn’t anticipate.
So what are my plans for 2013?
- Continue what I started in 2012
- Write from a personal perspective more often. I rarely did it before, but I like doing it, and none of you seem to mind.
- Start my Phonics by Tonic™ greeting card line (thanks to Bill Friday for the name!)
- Let the blog evolve on its own, and follow its lead
My life has changed so much in the last year, and most of the things that happened I couldn’t have predicted. I think the same can be said for writing and world domination. You have to just go with the flow, and see which opportunities present themselves.
I want to take this moment to say THANK YOU to everyone who has been on this journey with me. I hadn’t been consistent earlier this year because of personal issues, and now I’m finishing the year by spamming your inboxes with my daily posts. For some reason you’ve all stuck around, and there are even new people who voluntarily signed up for this. Maybe one of my other goals for 2013 is not being so hot and cold with you guys. Nobody likes a tease.
Here’s to 2013, no matter what the Mayans say.
Thanks to Le Clown for granting me permission to write about this. His magnificence is unparalleled.
NaNoWriNO Day 30 (MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!)