All The World’s A Stage

NaNoWriNO Day 9

Topic: Actor/Actress who makes me smile, and how I would behave if I met him/her

——————————————————————————————————————————————————-

“All the world’s a stage, And all the men and women merely players, They have their exits and their entrances, And one man in his time plays many parts”

I’ve always loved this snippet from William Shakespeare’s As You Like It (Act II, Scene VII) because I find it to be such a succinct way of describing life. I love seeing myself, or a particular period of my life, in books or plays or movies or songs. It’s like making a human connection with someone even though there is nobody there to have that connection with.

Truth be told, I’ve never really been impacted emotionally by an actor or actress. They make a living off of convincing audiences they are anyone but who they really are. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure some of them are very nice people, but I’ve never had the desire to thank them for playing make believe.

I may not get something from the person behind the character, but I have definitely taken something away from the character itself. I’m not sure why the following quotes are among my favorites of all time. Perhaps they are so powerful that they touched everyone who watched the movie, or it could be that they were exactly what I needed to hear at the time. I just know that these moments, with these characters, left an imprint in my mind.

“I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can’t remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world’s still there. Do I believe the world’s still there? Is it still out there?… Yeah. We all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are. I’m no different.” – Leonard Shelby in Memento

“Some people feel like they don’t deserve love. They walk away quietly into empty spaces, trying to close the gaps of the past.” – Christopher McCandless in Into the Wild

“I never realize how much I like being home unless I’ve been somewhere really different for a while.” Juno MacGuff in Juno

“I’ll tell you everything, and you tell me everything, and maybe we can get through all the piss and shit and lies that kill other people.” – Claudia Wilson Gator in Magnolia

“Don’t ever let anyone ever say to you, ‘You shouldn’t regret anything.’ Don’t do that, don’t! You regret what you fucking want! And use that, use that, use that regret for anything, any way you want.” – Earl Patridge in Magnolia

“Instead of telling our young people to plan ahead, we should tell them to plan to be surprised.” – Dan Burns in Dan in Real Life

“I have to remind myself that some birds aren’t meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up DOES rejoice. But still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they’re gone.” Red in The Shawshank Redemption

“…we live or die by the clock. We never turn our back on it. And we never, ever allow ourselves the sin of losing track of time. – Chuck Noland in Cast Away

“…there’s a conflict in every human heart, between the rational and irrational, between good and evil. And good does not always triumph. Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature.” – General Corman in Apocalypse Now

If I could thank these characters, I certainly would. My reaction to meeting them would probably be something like, “Um…this is kind of weird. How are you real?” I’ll guess I’ll have to settle for seeing them while I sit on my couch in my sweats.

Now that I’ve showed you mine, you need to show me yours. Which movie characters (or movie itself) stand out in your minds?

—————————————————————————————————————————————————–

Thank you to Katy from Tired of Previews for suggesting this topic. She’s a movie reviewer, and just got a snazzy new site. Please check it out!

NaNoWriNO Day 8

NaNoWriNO Day 10

69 Responses to “All The World’s A Stage”

1. Dani Heart 11/13/2012 at 4:46 pm #

Okay, I had to think about this for a while…. I am that kind of person. :) Anyway… my first quote is from a movie most of you probably won’t remember.. It’s the Hallmark Hall of Fame movie (Caroline?). There is a line where Caroline played by Stephanie Zimbalist says to Winston ” It’s like your in a cage Winston and I thought if I could just bend the bars a little you would be able to squeeze through and be free, but it is Heidi we must free first only then can you be totally free to live your life”. The movie is about a woman who befriends an old lady in a nursing home where she works. The old lady keeps calling her by another name. She convinces her that she could be her granddaughter she looks and acts so much like her, and there’s money to be had if she can pull it off. The old lady tells her do it for me, for Heidi and Winston, consider the money payment in advance! So she does.. and the quote above is when she realizes that to help Winston she will have to take on much much more than she bargained for, but instead of running with the money she does take it on, because it’s the right thing to do! My second quote is from another of my all time favorite movies Tombstone. Someone asks Doc Holliday why he has taken on Wyatt’s fight? Doc says, “because he’s my friend”, and the other person says..I have lots of friends.. to which Doc replies flatly “I don’t”! True friendship is rare and should always be cherished. :) and of course.. “I’m your huckleberry comes to mind whenever I perceive a challenge that I know I can conquer. ;)

• Jen and Tonic 11/18/2012 at 1:41 am #

It’s okay to think about it for awhile! I thought about it for a couple of hours before writing the post :)

You picked two totally opposite movies for your quotes! I love that. You’re a versatile woman, Mrs. Heart.

2. Viciously Sweet 11/11/2012 at 8:02 pm #

Great post. I totally agree with the magic of the quotes you picked. Celebrities are just people after-all. I hope that the ones I think are nice are really actually nice.

I was bereft of joy the day I discovered Chevy Chase was not a nice guy… my coworkers had to buy me ice cream to calm me down.

• Jen and Tonic 11/12/2012 at 12:47 am #

I know! What is WRONG with him lately? The AARP police need to come and put him in check.

3. Storkhunter 11/11/2012 at 1:25 pm #

I’m not a big movie watcher, but The Notebook has several quotes that moved me.
    I also don’t believe in worshipping actors. We don’t know them as people, we only know their characters. For example I think Neal Caffrey in White Collar is a fantastic character. As for Matt Bomer, he might be a very nice guy, but I have no vested interest in him – if that makes sense.

• Jen and Tonic 11/12/2012 at 12:51 am #

Makes total sense. I really hope Matt Bomer is a nice guy in real life because it would kind of bum me out if he wasn’t. Sometimes there are people you just root for because them being a douchenozzle would kind of kill you.

• Storkhunter 11/12/2012 at 5:55 am #

I completely agree. I was heartbroken when I discovered that Daniel Kafee (aka Tom Cruise) was, as you so eloquently put it, a douchenozzle. I think I cried for a week. That guy really should just keep his mouth shut.

4. Just Rambling 11/10/2012 at 1:30 am #

hmm, to be quite honest, I hardly ever watch movies, LOL! I mean, I totally get what you’re saying about never having been emotionally impacted by and actor or actress. Same goes for me. I think Nemo is my favorite actor :P

5. writerwendyreid 11/09/2012 at 5:00 pm #

“Please help me God”
    “God? No God”

30 days of night. Awesome movie. :-)

• Jen and Tonic 11/12/2012 at 12:59 am #

That’s a scary movie, right? I can’t do them. I’m such a baby.

• writerwendyreid 11/12/2012 at 6:20 pm #

Scary vampire movie. I love it. :-)

6. speaker7 11/09/2012 at 4:46 pm #

So what you’re really saying is you love writers. Here is one of my favorites from Jerry Blank no less: “Why does your finger smell like his ass?”

• Jen and Tonic 11/12/2012 at 12:56 am #

That might be the best line ever written. True story: my mom went around saying that to me and my sisters for years.

7. benzeknees 11/09/2012 at 3:43 pm #

I have always loved Sidney Poitier because of the characters he played – Sir in to Sir with Love, the doctor in Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner, etc. He always played strong, somewhat silent, highly moral characters who wants to help others. Another actor I admire is Julia Roberts but for a completely different reason – no matter if it’s in a movie role or in an interview, she is quick to laugh & laughs big with her mouth wide open like she is truly enjoying the laugh. I think this is a good quality in a person. I always admired Audrey Hepburn too. I liked the quirky roles she played in movies & found her funny, but in a personal way I admired her serene soul.

• Jen and Tonic 11/12/2012 at 12:58 am #

Julie Roberts smile makes you want to smile. I bet she was teased as a child for having such a large mouth, but it has been her signature for years.

8. Paul M Chapman 11/09/2012 at 3:41 pm #

John Spencer in the West Wing was one of those actors who acted with his whole body. You couldn’t tell he was acting- a real professional. This has to be my favourite scene in anything. The chemistry is electric.

• Jen and Tonic 11/12/2012 at 12:53 am #

I have actually never seen one episode of the West Wing! I think it won a gazillion awards. Not sure why I never watched it.

• Dani Heart 11/13/2012 at 4:28 pm #

What a great scene. I loved loved loved that show. :)

9. Madame Weebles 11/09/2012 at 3:18 pm #

That line by Red in Shawshank is a great one. But now I’m blanking on good lines. Oh! Kathy Bates in Fried Green Tomatoes: “Face it girls, I’m older and I have more insurance.”

• Jen and Tonic 11/12/2012 at 12:52 am #

Kathy Bates is phenomenal. I think she could say, “You’re a fart face!” and still make it memorable.

10. calahan 11/09/2012 at 12:36 pm #

“Cold are the hands of time that creep along relentlessly, destroying slowly, but without pity, that which yesterday was young. Alone our memories resist this disintegration and grow more lovely with the passing years.” The Palm Beach Story

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2012 at 1:29 pm #

That’s the kind of stuff I wish I could write. Instead, I’m cross-dressing footballs.

11. GiggsMcGill Jill 11/09/2012 at 12:06 pm #

“Moulin Rouge” has been a favorite movie of mine since it came out – and I’ve always loved Satine (sp?). Talk about a woman who took her situation in life and tried to use it to her advantage and get ahead! (I mean, for the life of a prostitute, she did pretty well! Except for the whole consumption thing) I just love how strong she tries to be.

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2012 at 1:35 pm #

I kind of had a girl crush on Satine after I watched Moulin Rouge. She owned her situation, and did the best she could with it. Admirable, really.

12. Bill Friday 11/09/2012 at 11:31 am #

I never realized how “quote deprived” I was until I read this post. I do love movies… sadly, I love bad movies way too much, and have blown far too many hours watching them in greater measure than I’ve watched the good. It’s kinda depressing, now that I think about it (don’t worry… I’ll buck up as soon as I’m done with my morose reminiscing).

However, of all the lines in all the movies in all the world, the ones that walk into my gin joint most often are any of the lines spoken by Val Kilmer, playing Doc Holliday in the movie Tombstone. And I mean ALL OF THEM. Doc Holliday, as portrayed in the film, is a man who knows his time is short, has long since stopped giving a shit about the opinions of others, but still… at the core of his being… has a conscience, and even a sense of honor. And he wants to go out on as close to HIS TERMS as possible. His final scene in the movie with Wyatt Earp (Kurt Russell) tells me all I need to know about life, and irony. When Doc looks down at his bare feet sticking out of the covers of his sanitarium death bed, and realizes that he is a “cowboy, dying with his boots OFF”, all he says in his Georgia accent is,

“I’ll be damned… this is funny.”

• SocietyRed 11/09/2012 at 12:51 pm #

“I’ll be your huckleberry”

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2012 at 1:38 pm #

You do love Tombstone! Remember the other day when you told me that you hated my pot roast, and I was confused because you always said you liked it before? You responded with, “In vino veritas.”

Plus, you are a gun-toting cowboy.

• Bill Friday 11/10/2012 at 1:19 am #

“You’re no daisy! You’re no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung… It would appear that the strain was more than he could bear.”

• Dani Heart 11/13/2012 at 4:23 pm #

Funny Bill this movie is one of my all time favorites and one of my quotes is also from Val Kilmers (Doc Holliday) character. :)

13. SummerSolsticeGirl 11/09/2012 at 9:37 am #

Love it! I am a self-confessed movie junkie and I have some many fave characters and quotes the answer would be a post on its own. But one I’m particularly fond of is Karen Blixen in Out of Africa

14. incognitomusicmagazine 11/09/2012 at 9:35 am #

Probably my favorite movie character ever: The Dude…takin’ ‘er easy for all us sinners.

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2012 at 11:34 am #

I knew you’d be a Big Lebowski guy.

• incognitomusicmagazine 11/09/2012 at 8:52 pm #

It’s a classic.
        “He’s a nihilist. He doesn’t believe in anything.”
        “That must be exhausting.”

15. SocietyRed 11/09/2012 at 8:10 am #

Great quotes!

Here is one of my all-time favorites: “Where do they teach you to talk like this? In some Panama City “Sailor wanna hump-hump” bar, or is it getaway day and your last shot at his whiskey? Sell crazy someplace else, we’re all stocked up here.” Melvin Udall in As Good As It Gets

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2012 at 11:34 am #

You just wanted to say “hump hump” didn’t you?

• SocietyRed 11/09/2012 at 12:46 pm #

Apparently I am too transparent…

• SocietyRed 11/09/2012 at 12:48 pm #

I actually use “Sell crazy someplace else” at work all the time.

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2012 at 1:22 pm #

I love that! I’m gonna start saying it to my sister when she calls.

16. Stacie Chadwick 11/09/2012 at 8:07 am #

Not really an actor so much as a character in a novel: Holden Caulfield. I would have had the HUGEST crush on him in high school, but would have been way too intimidated to ever say hi.

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2012 at 11:19 am #

Did you also have a crush on Jordan Catalano from My So Called Life? He was also broody and mysterious.

• Stacie Chadwick 11/09/2012 at 11:48 am #

No, but only because in a bad after-school special, he could be my son. Taylor Kitsch comes dangerously close to felony territory for me, but I don’t really like to talk about it in public.

17. becca3416 11/09/2012 at 8:05 am #

Interesting take on the prompt. I’ll have to agree that I relate with characters before the actors who play them. I mean what do we REALLY know about the person playing the role anyway you know?

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2012 at 11:18 am #

Sometimes I’ve heard things about celebrities that really shocks me. I just didn’t see it coming because the idea I had of who they were in their private lives was so much different. I remember being really shocked when Phil Hartman’s wife murdered him. She had a serious drug habit, and their marriage had been rather rocky, and I just knew him as the loveable SNL comedian.

18. saradraws 11/09/2012 at 7:51 am #

I think Catherine Keener and I could be friends. And by friends I mean I will stare and stumble over my words and be stupidly starstruck. She’s really talented, I think. Also, Michelle Williams is a bit of a dark horse and I love her for it. So many cool, smart, strong, beautiful, imperfect women making me feel really damned good about myself.

• becca3416 11/09/2012 at 8:03 am #

Yes! I must agree with the Michelle Williams mention. I didn’t care for her at first, but then she grew on me. I think that’s why

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2012 at 11:10 am #

The way you feel about Michelle Williams is how I feel about Maggie Gyllenhaal. She’s sort of quirky but beautiful and smart and seems cool. Reserved, but not uptight. I think they both exude a quiet confidence that I admire.

• saradraws 11/10/2012 at 9:47 am #

I totally forgot to mention Maggie! I love here too. Good call, J&T.

19. Fern DeVilliers 11/09/2012 at 7:45 am #

I loved Dan in Real Life. My favourites? That’s tough. Ummm, I really liked Don’t Move – Penelope Cruz’s best movie role ever. And Great Expectations with Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow. I could watch that over and over again. I haven’t seen Magnolia yet. I’ll have to rent it. Thanks for this. :)

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2012 at 11:08 am #

I haven’t seen Don’t Move. That’s the one where she’s from the lower class, and he’s rich and they have some kind of crazy affair, right?

You should see Magnolia. I know some people really didn’t like it, but I loved it. All the different stories, and how they unfolded, mirror real life in a way I could really relate to.

20. bradthecomedian 11/09/2012 at 7:27 am #

Great quotes!

When I was 20 (sigh) I saw “Before Sunrise” and loved it (still do). I just love those 2 characters and their thoughts on life and love. The whole movie was very moving and deep to me. Just 2 people connecting for 1 day in Vienna.

Celine: “I believe if there’s any kind of God it wouldn’t be in any of us, not you or me but just this little space in between. If there’s any kind of magic in this world it must be in the attempt of understanding someone sharing something. I know, it’s almost impossible to succeed but who cares really? The answer must be in the attempt.”

Jesse: “You know what’s the worst thing about somebody breaking up with you? It’s when you remember how little you thought about the people you broke up with and you realize that is how little they’re thinking of you. You know, you’d like to think you’re both in all this pain but they’re just like “Hey, I’m glad you’re gone”

I saw that movie twice in the theater in when I was in college. I took a girl I had a huge crush on to it the second time. Her review was to criticize Ethan Hawke’s goatee not being sculpted correctly.
    Me: “So what you’d you think of the movie?”
    Her:”His goatee was totally crooked. Did you notice that? Whenever he lifted his head. It just bugged me.”

So, that movie also helped me realize she was an idiot and I moved on. :)

Another favorite movie I discovered around this same time was Dazed and Confused. I would love to hang out with Wooderson or Dawson or, of course, Slater.

Wooderson: “Man, it’s the same bullshit they tried to pull in my day. If it ain’t that piece of paper, there’s some other choice they’re gonna try and make for you. You gotta do what Randall Pink Floyd wants to do man. Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they’re gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin’ man, L-I-V-I-N.”

Dawson: “You know that Julie chick? Loves you. You want her? Gotta play it cool, you know. You can’t let her know how much you like ?cause if she knows, she’ll dump you like that. Believe me. Like, if she asks you if you want a ride, you say, “No, I’ve got my own ride, but maybe I’ll see you later.” Sounds stupid, doesn’t it? It works.”

Slater: “Behind every good man there is a woman, and that woman was Martha Washington, man, and everyday George would come home, she would have a big fat bowl waiting for him, man, when he come in the door, man, she was a hip, hip, hip lady, man….Didja ever look at a dollar bill, man? There’s some spooky shit goin’ on there. And it’s green too.”

But if I had to pick a character I’d want to meet it would have to be Navin R. Johnson from The Jerk:

Navin R. Johnson: “I know we’ve only known each other four weeks and three days, but to me it seems like nine weeks and five days. The first day seemed like a week and the second day seemed like five days. And the third day seemed like a week again and the fourth day seemed like eight days. And the fifth day you went to see your mother and that seemed just like a day, and then you came back and later on the sixth day, in the evening, when we saw each other, that started seeming like two days, so in the evening it seemed like two days spilling over into the next day and that started seeming like four days, so at the end of the sixth day on into the seventh day, it seemed like a total of five days. And the sixth day seemed like a week and a half. I have it written down, but I can show it to you tomorrow if you want to see it.”

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2012 at 11:05 am #

She saw that movie and THAT is what she took away from it? Now the next time I watch it I bet that’s all I’ll be able to notice ;)

The line about Martha Washington is one of my favorite funny lines of all time. It’s just so weird and funny and random…and something a stoner would totally say.

21. Garry Crystal 11/09/2012 at 7:25 am #

Great article. I can never remember quotes but two in particular stick in my mind, will have to google to get them right.

Closing line from Se7en – “Ernest Hemingway once wrote, “The world is a fine place and worth fighting for.” I agree with the second part.”

From Closer “It’s a lie. It’s a bunch of sad strangers photographed beautifully, and… all the glittering assholes who appreciate art say it’s beautiful ’cause that’s what they wanna see. But the people in the photos are sad, and alone… But the pictures make the world seem beautiful, so… the exhibition is reassuring which makes it a lie, and everyone loves a big fat lie.”

And the first line from the book The Shining, which for some reason has stuck in my head since I was a kid, “Officious little prick.”

And anything from Glengarry Glenross….okay I will stop.

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2012 at 11:00 am #

Oh crap. Se7en and Glengarry Glen Ross, both excellent movies. Se7en was still when Brad Pitt was a decent actor. Now he’s doing cologne commercials.

One of my favorite lines from GGR is, “You never open your mouth until you know what the shot is.”

• Madame Weebles 11/09/2012 at 3:05 pm #

That, and the “leads are for closers” speech from GGR.

22. El Guapo 11/09/2012 at 7:25 am #

Tibbs: I’m telling you, you’re holding the wrong man.
    Gillespie:I got the motive which is money an the body Which. Is.Dead.
    -In the Heat of the Night

One of the best movies I’ve ever seen.
    That and Army of Darkness. All hail to the King, baby.

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2012 at 10:55 am #

Oh man, In the Heat of the Night is a really good movie. I haven’t seen it in a really long time.

Never seen Army of Darkness. That’s horror, right? I’m too wimpy for that.

23. You had me at Shakespeare! Love the Bard :-)

You have fantastic taste in films, Ms. Sharp….I love that you are moved by the words in these movies. Yes, actors are just a small part of the movies but the characters they play do and can make an impact. You are so right!

I have too many quotes in my library of inspirational dialogue…haha…and you already put one in from my favorite movie of all time. But I will leave you with one of my favorite lines of all time.

“Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion’s starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don’t see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often, it’s not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it’s always there – fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know, none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge – they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I’ve got a sneaking suspicion… love actually is all around.” – Love Actually (2003)

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2012 at 10:53 am #

You are all fired up on this one! How did I know you would be? ;)

Don’t get me wrong, I think there are some actors who just own the part. They make the character what it is. I feel like Johny Deep is one of those people. Pirates of the Caribbean wouldn’t have been the same if he wasn’t in it. Still, the connection I’m making is with the character.

And I LOVE that quote from Love Actually. One of the best scenes in the whole movie.

24. isawbobdylaninaspeedo 11/09/2012 at 6:27 am #

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind baby!!! love that movie!! Charlie Kaufman is amaziing and Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet are like nothing else in this movie….here’s my fave quote…I’m not a concept. Too many guys think I’m a concept or I complete them or I’m going to make them alive, but I’m just a fucked up girl who is looking for my own peace of mind. Don’t assign me yours. – and you picked some amazing quotes Jen!!!

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2012 at 10:47 am #

I love that quote!! I actually only saw a part of that movie on a flight once. I’m going to need to watch it all the way through.

25. Carrie Rubin 11/09/2012 at 6:16 am #

Although I saw it years ago, “Life Is Beautiful” still resonates with me. In it, a father tries to shield his son from the horrors inside a Nazi camp by making it a ‘game.’ That’s the last movie I remember crying in. Tough one to watch but incredible film.

• Jen and Tonic 11/09/2012 at 10:46 am #

Is that the one by Roberto Benigni? I remember it receiving all sorts of accolades when it first came out. I’m going to have to watch it one of these days.

• Carrie Rubin 11/09/2012 at 12:18 pm #

I’m not sure if it’s the only one, but it’s a tearjerker.

1. The Golden Homegirls « Sips of Jen and Tonic - 11/10/2012